Anyone eat snails?

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
What about garden snails?

I have and I enjoyed it.
Snail sliders soaked in garlic/butter ain’t bad.

They are kinda spendy so I don’t often order them, well that and who knows really how fresh something like those are.
I heard that they are just bagged snails and that they reuse the shells but I’m not sure.

We have sea snails where I’m at that are the size of grapefruits.
I keep thinking that they might taste like conch and I love me a conch salad or fritters.

I’ve been told that the garden variety snails like in those pics are not indigenous to North America and that they were brought over for table fare but escaped.

I went for an early morning walk in Hawaii, I tripped over what I thought was a big river rock! I thought who the heck put all of these rocks on the path? THEN I figured out that they were snails! After that I didn’t go out in the early morning. 😂😳 Not sure if you can eat those but later I read they eat the paint off of houses!

Taste like fish that fell in dirt and was left there a day or so. Yukkko. Tried them once. I was cured of that curiosity

We had a plot of gazanias ("freeway daisys") that attracted snails like this picture. I put some Slug & Snail bait around the border and those snails were piled on 3 and 4 high, wide, and deep. Of course, they were killed by the bait, and talk about stink...disgusting. I can't imagine anyone eating a snail. I got rid of the gazanias because they attracted so many snaills.
Monday eve I walked outside around 9pm and the rout of snails near my grills made me think about becoming a Snail Rancher !

( not my pic )

View attachment 88408

Back