Anyone doing Genesis 1000 restoration for-hire near Springfield IL?

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I received this FB message today re: a Genesis 2000 with perhaps a non-Weber sideburner.

Does anyone know of someone doing restoration for-hire in her area?

Hi! I would like to have my husband’s redhead(?) Genesis Weber restored for him. I know little about it other than he LOVES it and refuses to get a new grill. (It has sentimental value to him) It is in working condition, just needs a makeover. I’m located around the Springfield, Il area and willing to travel within reason if needed. Can anyone give me any recommendations? Thank you in advance.

286112725_411629607533224_1923621636713246460_n.jpg

284502670_775844873438977_6539182926124672513_n.jpg

284637484_873285826838845_6889039616568115927_n.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, that's a tough one. If it was close and I could look at it first I could come up with a number. Just the new slats and handle it needs is going to be expensive because I have to stain and poly them as well. I'm guessing she could buy a new Weber grill for what it would cost for me to make that grill new again, if that's even what she really wants.

A little less than 3 hours for me. If you want to ask her if she would meet me halfway and discuss what she really is wiling to do related to parts, I would enjoy doing it!

Please don't tell my wife I just posted this!!!
Shoot… too late. GEEZ 😉😉😉

Yeah, but in the original message it's clear that her husband knows what he's got and REFUSES to part with it! Smart man!
Exactly! He loves this grill, restorations are not always about cost, they are about “Keeping“ something.
I'm probably going to spend $150 to have tapes of 2 live concerts dubbed from 1/4” reel to CDs. It’s only worth it to me, really.
but, it’s important to me.

Yeah, but in the original message it's clear that her husband knows what he's got and REFUSES to part with it! Smart man!
I totally understand the sentiment. That's what got me started and brought me to this forum! I don't know, maybe we could work something out where I made all the wood and Jon does the actual restoration, not that he can't make the wood himself. I would be open to helping in some fashion.

Last edited:
Somebody please do this - the story is too cute.

If someone takes it on, I would be a bit wary of the situation. Usually, you guys fix grill to sell to new owners. This couple's expectations about what constitutes a refurb on their grill may be more or less than what you expect.

If you want to ask her if she would meet me halfway and discuss what she really is wiling to do related to parts, I would enjoy doing it!
Jon, her name is xxxx and she'd like to get in touch with you. Can I give her your email address?

To me, the important thing is to make sure that the husband is on-board with this refurb. Maybe he likes grilling on a sweaty old grill! :D

Last edited:
We don’t need all the financial details but it would be nice to know if the fine people on here made this possible for xxxx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, to close on this, I guess this restoration won't be happening. The woman never emailed Jon, despite a couple of reminders from me that Jon was standing by to discuss her project. I suspect her husband said no, he likes his sweaty old Genesis as-is, or he intends to take on the project himself someday. At least that's the story I'm telling myself. Oh well.

I really appreciate the enthusiasm with which this request was received. It's just another example of the good people we've got here as members. (y)

For privacy, I have removed the woman's name from two of the replies in this thread.

Back