Anybody else experienced this - Full BBQ Replacement Under Warranty

Jon Hutcheon

TVWBB Member
Howdy, one of (many of) my grills is a Genesis II E-410 and it's been having major issues with rotted out metal (slats on the bottom rack, flavorizer bars, grills, frame, etc.). Including an issue with the cookbox which is a back ordered part until Feb/Mar 2024.

Weber last week offered to replace my grill due to the inconvenience with a new Genesis E-435 at no charge or upgrade to the Genesis S-435 for $160 CDN (taxes in). I elected to upgrade and pay the additional $160 for the stainless grills etc. Only stipulation is I have to return the Genesis II (which is no issue in my mind).

Has anyone experienced this before? I thought it was interesting and a good way for them to 1) back their product and 2) clear out the 2023s in light of new models coming.

Thanks,

Hutch

Sounds like a fantastic solution. The 435 with the sear burner is a great improvement over the 410, and you get a side burner that might come in handy too.

That's pretty impressive! Hats off to the Weber rep who helped you with getting this solution.

I once bought a Crown Verity all 304 stainless steel grill while still in Florida. The owner told Crown Verity (a Canadian maker of high end, if a little different, grills) that their grill had rust all over it. Crown Verity sent them an ENTIRELY NEW grill and didn't even ask for the old one back. The owner sold it to me (who was buying it for our small non-profit) for $100. A wash with white vinegar and the "rust" was gone!

Exactly, I've always had a great experience with them. They did send me most of the other parts already for the grill which I asked if they wanted them back - but they didn't. If anyone in Toronto or Ontario, Canada is looking for a frame and the lower slats for the E-410 PM me!

Exactly, I've always had a great experience with them. They did send me most of the other parts already for the grill which I asked if they wanted them back - but they didn't. If anyone in Toronto or Ontario, Canada is looking for a frame and the lower slats for the E-410 PM me!

a way to find new homes for things is to post them in this forum:

Much applause for Weber C/S on this one.
I can think of two reason for requesting the old grill back.
1. They want to ensure you really own the grill and it really is in bad shape.
2. And I think this is probably the biggest reason and I again applaud them if this is the case. They want it back to examine it and try to determine if it was materials or workmanship that created the issues or some other issue.

But, I think easily your best choice for the replacement is the newer E435. A newer model and some great upgrades are easily worth the extra $160CDN. I have little experience with the Genesis II line and none with the current generation Genesis, but think the quality would be at least as good.

2) clear out the 2023s in light of new models coming.
#2 is an interesting point. Your best chance to get a replacement product from any company is when they have a months-long backlog of unsold inventory and are rolling out new models. If inventory is tight and a company can't even fill their current orders, you have much less chance of getting a product replaced under warrantee.

Congratulations.

That’s a fine deal! You got the right person on the phone, good for you! For whatever reason they want the old one back why not? Do they want you to return it to a dealer or what?
I’d need to rent or borrow a truck to return it but, for that kind of consideration, I’d do it in a heartbeat!

For sure you want to use a good gloss High temp paint. I do them with Rustoleum High Heat Ultra. I done well over 100 in the last 5 plus years and as far as I know, they are all doing well.

That’s a fine deal! You got the right person on the phone, good for you! For whatever reason they want the old one back why not? Do they want you to return it to a dealer or what?
I’d need to rent or borrow a truck to return it but, for that kind of consideration, I’d do it in a heartbeat!
When they drop ship the new grill to me, the delivery company takes the old grill at the same time. Pretty sweet coordination.

When they drop ship the new grill to me, the delivery company takes the old grill at the same time. Pretty sweet coordination.
Wow, talk about a "deal". Geez when they let me down on the Summit I would have been over the moon if they only would have given me a coupon for 50% off on a new grill or something. Instead all I got was a "deal" that IF I bought a new grill from them directly at THIER price it would have been supposedly 15% off.
But, their price was already 20% HIGHER than in the stores so it would have been MORE $$$ to me in the end.
Kinda like the "so called" deal I just got from the Portillo's chain. Over the weekend we had the daughter and her SO over with the kids and decided to order Portillo's for us all. Assorted stuff, chicken tenders, Italian beefs, burgers and so on plus super size fries.
in short the food and the service was AWWWWFUL. I asked for the food to be ready AT 530. Daughter walks in to get it, and saw it sitting on counter (not even on warming tray), then she has to wait while 2 employees are standing, gossiping and ignoring her. She finally "bothers" them, well the food was done WAY before 530, and they simply left it out. In short everything was cold, soggy, beef was dry and rubbery.
They asked me to "review" my order. I did. And asked to be contacted by management. I get an email with a "coupon" for a free sandwich. Whoop de doo. I ain't never buying their food again.
That is how I felt with the Weber "coupon" offer. IOW "Don't do me no favors"

Wow, talk about a "deal". Geez when they let me down on the Summit I would have been over the moon if they only would have given me a coupon for 50% off on a new grill or something. Instead all I got was a "deal" that IF I bought a new grill from them directly at THIER price it would have been supposedly 15% off.
But, their price was already 20% HIGHER than in the stores so it would have been MORE $$$ to me in the end.
Kinda like the "so called" deal I just got from the Portillo's chain. Over the weekend we had the daughter and her SO over with the kids and decided to order Portillo's for us all. Assorted stuff, chicken tenders, Italian beefs, burgers and so on plus super size fries.
in short the food and the service was AWWWWFUL. I asked for the food to be ready AT 530. Daughter walks in to get it, and saw it sitting on counter (not even on warming tray), then she has to wait while 2 employees are standing, gossiping and ignoring her. She finally "bothers" them, well the food was done WAY before 530, and they simply left it out. In short everything was cold, soggy, beef was dry and rubbery.
They asked me to "review" my order. I did. And asked to be contacted by management. I get an email with a "coupon" for a free sandwich. Whoop de doo. I ain't never buying their food again.
My wife loves Portillo's. We have one in Avon, near Indy, and it makes my wife feel closer to her native Chicago area. Nothing that special to me, though.

Chick Fil-A would have done better by you, Larry:LOL:!

My wife loves Portillo's. We have one in Avon, near Indy, and it makes my wife feel closer to her native Chicago area. Nothing that special to me, though.

Chick Fil-A would have done better by you, Larry:LOL:!
Thing is with Chick Fil A I already KNOW to expect bad food so when I get that I am not surprised or disappointed as I know exactly what to expect there. Not so with Portillo's. But, sadly, Portillo's like Lou Malnatti's has sold out in the hopes of rapid expansion. And both have gone WAY down in quality. I will only buy Malnatti's as a last resort or if someone just HAS to have it. But, I know and remember when they put out REALLY good pizza. So good I would travel all the way to Chicago from here for it. Not so anymore. Sadly same for Portillo's and another old local fav from here in our local area. Beef A Roo. Another chain that has sold and is expanding at a rapid rate.
When these family owned companies sell out, even if you don't "know" they sold...............you know from the service and quality of the food.

Whether you like Chick Fil-A like I do or not (your opinion vs. mine and not interested at all in arguing about that), for a fast-food chain their customer service is head and shoulders over their competition. Sure, someone will have a bad story here and there, but overall, CFA has taught their employees how to treat customers well - in the context of fast food restaurants, not 5-star places. I have never known a Chick Fil-A location not to make things right if something bad happens like did to you at that Portillo's.

I think you are very much correct about family places selling out. Sad to hear that about Lou Malnatti's as that is one of the few places around Indy that we could possibly go for Chicago deep dish. I will probably have to let it suffice, although we haven't tried it yet. When in Chicago SW suburbs family insists on the thin crust stuff (Fasano's) popular there. Maybe one time we will go downtown and get my favorite - Gino's East.

No complaint on CFA on the service. They're attentive and very nice, and they get orders correct. Unlike even my fav chain (Culver's). (at least here in Rockford IL). Same goes for CFA as my only experience is here in the Rockford IL location. And it seems that in many cases chains like CFA, and such seem to treat our area as some "backwater" place that does not count in the quality game. Never know. If I were to try CFA in another location it might be night and day different. I can't say. All I know is HERE every time I have tried them and TRIED to like them I am treated to soggy, flabby product. Maybe their corporate people need to come out to our little backwater time forgot? :D

I have had similar experiences with Portillos. I have gone through several cycles. Never. No matter how much someone else wants them, no matter how much scorn the heap on me, no.
And for today's prices...!

The old customer service standard, McDonald’s, has deteriorated to worse than nothing. When there are issues corporate is of little use. The menu is a collection of stuff that is only for desperation. Will take days off your life, aand for what it cost..... how much?!!!
Honestly, what can you order there that is not bad for you, taste like food, and is reasonable on price?

Back