any special method to use my WSM in the rain?

EM Hitch

Hello to all, this is my very first post and this is a question from an absolute novice so I applogize. It may rain here in Pittsburgh on Sunday or Monday due to Isaac and I was planning on a BBQ for Labor Day. My WSM is not protected from rain. Is there any preferred method to protect the WSM during a smoke from the rain or does it not matter? Sorry for the crazy question!

EM,
Welcome aboard. From what I've read on this forum, rain will not affect your cook on the WSM. Some people have carts or stands that prop an umbrella over the cooker but thats mainly to protect YOU from the elements. The big issue to worry about is wind, as it can affect the burning of the charcoal if wind is blowing through the lower bowl. Good luck and let us know how your first cook goes!

Hi Tim, thanks for the reply. This is not the first smoke for me but it may well be the first time out in the rain with it and I wanted to take any precaution necessary to ensure success. Thanks again!

For light rain I just let it sit there and steam away. If I thought there was a chance of a torrential downpour I would probably try to rig up some kind of cover, even if it was only three sticks tied together at the top holding up a garbage can lid.

Although the rain won't affect the cook heat-wise, you may find that because of the design of the WSM, rain that falls on the "lid" rolls down the sides and into the WSM and collects in the very bottom where the ash collects. The top fits into the middle (rain entry) and the middle fits into the bottom (again, not so much but still allows rain entry).

This happened to me when it was not being used but just sitting on the deck looking pretty :D After 2 rain storms, the water (with ash) was almost up to the level of the charcoal grate inside the unit.

I would personally use an table umbrella in the stand (but without the table) to shelter it. It would shelter not just the unit but depending on your setup, your thermo sending unit too (like mine that sits on the genesis shelf).

Like this
IMG_0913.jpg

Unfortunately you can't see the umbrella but the silver pole to the left of the WSM supports the umbrella and is from a table/umbrella setup and shelters the unit (and you when you're standing beside the WSM)

Last edited:
A cover of some type would be best. When the rain kicks up, it will suck the heat right out of the wsm. you didn't say what you were going to cook, but you might want to consider cooking the day before and re-heating unless you have a couple days of rain in the forecast. As for covers, you could do the umbrella or a number of things. The thing that causes problems is a storm. High wind may cause any cover to blow away and if it is connected to the wsm, there is the potential to take the wsm with it (or at least tip it over). So be careful.

What about just inside the garage door - with the door WIDE OPEN? Is that an option? I've done that a couple times. Also, I've smoked on my front porch. You have no overhang on your house???

What about just inside the garage door - with the door WIDE OPEN? Is that an option? I've done that a couple times. Also, I've smoked on my front porch. You have no overhang on your house???

I find both of these to be great options as well FWIW. I have enough overhang around my house that I can get a resonable and safe distance away from the house, but still be out of the elements quite well. If cooking out near my shop I've cooked under the overhang and/or just inside the door with both doors open and at least a couple windows and the walk in door open for air movement. Never had any troubles. I have actually made a shelter/windscreen for my 18.5 WSM out of one of those plastic 55 gallon drums and never used it. It was kind of a plan for downpours or really cold windy snowy days but I've just never found a need to use it. The WSM's seem to chug along through most any conditions quite well.

i still have a problem using a WSM or a grill INSIDE a garage... wide open doors included...

it's probably just me, butt it scares the **** out of me.

I've used large "market" umbrellas with a nice heavy stand for it next to the WSM with GREAT dry results.
sure, this ▼ was a snowstorm, butt the results are the same

DSCN1905.JPG

It keeps ya dry...

DSCN2993.jpg

Back