Any Reason not to use wood to frame for bottom Silver B cabinet?

Looks good but you will need another something in the front to attach a metal plate for the door magnets if you plan on using them.
Yup. thats my next step. have some old side frames i'll cut and use some tubing inserts to attach in the front. would like to use the doors. ANd thanks

Glad to see that 300 series Genesis saved. Weber should have used stainless steel or at least aluminum on all that lower cabinetry, Your fix is also rust-proof and should give you another good run on that grill.(y)

Glad to see that 300 series Genesis saved. Weber should have used stainless steel or at least aluminum on all that lower cabinetry, Your fix is also rust-proof and should give you another good run on that grill.(y)
agree!! and since heat rises, i dont think the trex will have any issues. I'll try to post the final product.
thanks

I was thinking that as well. A simple steel plate (painted Gray) that is riveted or welded on would do the trick.

And the trex on the bottom is perfectly fine. The only way it could be a problem is if you a greased fire and some of the flaming gunk somehow landed on the bottom. But wood and composites have been used on deck bases for years.

I was thinking that as well. A simple steel plate (painted Gray) that is riveted or welded on would do the trick.

And the trex on the bottom is perfectly fine. The only way it could be a problem is if you a greased fire and some of the flaming gunk somehow landed on the bottom. But wood and composites have been used on deck bases for years.
Thanks Bruce - I've got a scrap left frame and I've already cut it apart. now just need to cut it to size and get the tubing inserts and put it together. I'll send a pic when done.

First time poster here, I have a Silver B that also needs a new bottom tray, not quite as bad as some shown here.
Would some wooden (or Trex) slats sitting loose across the bottom be good enough (it just has to keep a few bags
of wood chips, and a night light from falling through to the ground).
It doesn't look like that's a part anyone stocks now. My earlier plan was get a piece of galvanized sheet metal,
and pop rivet or screw it in.

First time poster here, I have a Silver B that also needs a new bottom tray, not quite as bad as some shown here.
Would some wooden (or Trex) slats sitting loose across the bottom be good enough (it just has to keep a few bags
of wood chips, and a night light from falling through to the ground).
It doesn't look like that's a part anyone stocks now. My earlier plan was get a piece of galvanized sheet metal,
and pop rivet or screw it in.
Welcome to the forum Craig! You can do whatever you want, it's your grill. You could cut a piece of plywood and throw it down there if you want to keep it simple.

I agree with Steve as long as you accept that it will be only a fix to last for however long it takes for the rust to spread to where the cabinet doors won’t work anymore.

Craig - Im still working on this but for $16( lowes) I got an 8 foot piece of Trex and cut it to size. some screws on the outside to hold it in place. I will install a crossbar in the front today so the doors can close.

Attachments

• IMG_8230.JPG
    IMG_8230.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 12
Looks really good, Mark! We will be interested in how you setup the crossbar and door magnets (or however you figure out to keep the doors closed).

Back