Any Reason not to use wood to frame for bottom Silver B cabinet?

The only foreseeable problem that I can think of...I am currently between trucks (it`s on my short list) so all of my pick-ups have needed to be broken down to get them home. I think a threaded insert where you can use a machine screw instead of a lag bolt might be a good economical option.

The only foreseeable problem that I can think of...I am currently between trucks (it`s on my short list) so all of my pick-ups have needed to be broken down to get them home. I think a threaded insert where you can use a machine screw instead of a lag bolt might be a good economical option.
Good point Ed, I'm sure if Joe was doing this grill as a keeper he would be more detail oriented. As it is, I can't really find fault with his methods. He's just trying to minimize effort and expense to save that grill.

Good point Ed, I'm sure if Joe was doing this grill as a keeper he would be more detail oriented. As it is, I can't really find fault with his methods. He's just trying to minimize effort and expense to save that grill.
Very true. I'm sure someone's gonna get a great deal on a quality grill that will likely last a good, long time.

In furniture that is intended to be assembled and disassembled, like stuff from IKEA, threaded inserts are common. It's also much stronger if done that way. The question was, "Any Reason not to use wood to frame for bottom Silver B cabinet?" and I was trying to think of what could possibly go wrong, trying to look at it from all angles. He's asking for anyone to find problems he may be overlooking, but Joe does some pretty incredible work in my view so I had to look at this with jaundiced eye.

I can't find fault with Joe's methods, either!

Happy selling! I thought it might be a bit too early in the season for stuff to move...especially up here in the Northeast, but the Weber gods have proven me wrong again. I listed a grill earlier tonight only because I need some room in the shop. It sold at full ask in less than 5 minutes to one of my page followers. SMH in amazement yet again at the power of social media.

Last edited:
Joe, I am with you on that model. It was the first Weber I ever bought new (but on discount closeout!). The cabinet rust was the one bad thing about an otherwise very nice grill. I love the double flip-up Thermoset tables that I think are way more useful than the fixed ones they have now. And the black handles, knobs and trim really set it off in my opinion. I wound up with what was left of my grill of this model after giving it away as a gift years ago. I have enough pieces that hopefully someday I can put it back together. I won't rule out trying your trick!

I think you are giving someone a really good deal and way to have a relatively worry-free Weber for a very doable price. Compare to the tin junk out front of Lowes and Home Depot for at least that much, and yours is way better, wood bottom notwithstanding. In fact, you have taken away the main problem, so it is really an improvement. I hope you sell it easily!

I don't think so. Maybe a Genesis II leftover, but besides the occasional wild clearance prices they are close to $900. My Ace has 2 nice ones and asking $879. I am waiting to see if they do a Manager's Special, but even then, the price would be too much for me.

This is an Ace special edition in Indigo and with 9mm stainless grates. You also get a “free” adapter for the new Crafted whatever add-ins.
154D263F-F654-4037-B790-6F3C761AEEEA.jpeg

Nice job Joe! It looks really good.
Thanks - It took about 4 days to sell and sold for $230 w/o tank. He was moving and upgraded from a charbroil. I probably had about $65 in to it with the wood, crossover tube, and 1 1/4 square welded firebox cross tube. It did take more time to restore than I anticipated but I really like these. You know the wood 1x1's were not significantly less expensive than the metal, but I found them easier and more forgiving to work with. I may try metal in the future and compare.

I use composite decking. It shouldn’t rot

View attachment 46307
this is fantastic. it looks like an E310 or E320 ( knobs on the side). yes? if so, im trying to do the same thing. got an old one free and the bottom panel is rusted thru.. i see 3 pieces of composite. can you share the dimensions with me,. thanks. and it looks great

perhaps outboard the tank, like this one:

thanks. I might try to keep the doors and the back and side panels and just lay composite as the new bottom panel. this way i can keep the scale and the tank on the inside. but the composite is definitely a great alternative than trying to find a new bottom panel.

Before and after - 1 piece of Trex decking, cut and installed. new bottom panel !!:)

Attachments

• IMG_8231.JPG
    IMG_8231.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8230.JPG
    IMG_8230.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8199.JPG
    IMG_8199.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8198.JPG
    IMG_8198.JPG