Any Reason not to use wood to frame for bottom Silver B cabinet?

Joe, are you planning to add the lower horizontal bars in metal? or will those be wood too ?

Another idea I've had for shelf's are to re-use the SS front panel from a dishwasher. The one I have is roughly 23x29 so more than enough for the floor of a silver. I will admit I haven't worked with stainless sheets, but I'm hoping to re-use the one I have have in some way for a BBQ cart or a shelf.

Flip. My flips are not restored to "factory or better" like a lot of the ones here. I go for clean, sturdy, usable, affordable, with as much reusable parts as possible.
I respect this a bunch. I just delivered my most extensive and expensive restoration project ever. While there is a level of satisfaction that comes with a project of that quality, the client’s desire for privacy really muted the experience for me. I keep a fairly active social media presence in play and misjudged just how much I would miss the interaction by agreeing in advance not to share any progress or finished product pics publicly. It’s got me kinda yearning for a few back to the basics flips of my own.

I respect this a bunch. I just delivered my most extensive and expensive restoration project ever. While there is a level of satisfaction that comes with a project of that quality, the client’s desire for privacy really muted the experience for me. I keep a fairly active social media presence in play and misjudged just how much I would miss the interaction by agreeing in advance not to share any progress or finished product pics publicly. It’s got me kinda yearning for a few back to the basics flips of my own.
That's unfortunate. At some point the restorations move towards art and it's sad they cannot be shared among fellow artisans as well as rookies like me.

I can understand someone not wanting pictures of themselves, family, or home on social media 100% I don't think I get not wanting a picture of their grill posted though?

I can understand someone not wanting pictures of themselves, family, or home on social media 100% I don't think I get not wanting a picture of their grill posted though?
I don’t understand it completely either but the request was made and I honored it. The irony is that they found out about me through social media and the pictures posted there. My only guess is that the story and description of the scope of work that would’ve accompanied the photos might have given away an idea of how much money they actually spent.

I don’t understand it completely either but the request was made and I honored it. The irony is that they found out about me through social media and the pictures posted there. My only guess is that the story and description of the scope of work that would’ve accompanied the photos might have given away an idea of how much money they actually spent.
Was this where that 8006 control panel went?

Joe, are those door hinge brackets from the original grill? Are they plastic or metal?

Untitled.jpg

Inserting those in the wood framing I am sure was a lot easier then when I tried to do it in a stainless steel tube. That took a lot of hard drilling. Looks really good and I think will probably be just fine for the practical, low-cost solution you are aiming for.

Joe, are those cross pieces held in place by wood screws screwed into the end-grain? And are they softwood?

Last edited:
Are the sides or back going to attach to the bottom? End-grain is the weakest way to attach anything to wood, as you probably already know.

EDIT: Thinking about it, the sides and back should hold it all together without attaching to the bottom. I think you'll be ok. Looks good, Joe!

Are the sides or back going to attach to the bottom? End-grain is the weakest way to attach anything to wood, as you probably already know.
Yes - Sides and doors are going back on. Those 2" lag bolts really dug into the wood and are tight.

Yes - Sides and doors are going back on. Those 2" lag bolts really dug into the wood and are tight.
I was thinking about the future owner, down the road. With the price of lumber, and you having a welder, how much are you saving with using wood? Is it a substantial amount?

I was thinking about the future owner, down the road. With the price of lumber, and you having a welder, how much are you saving with using wood? Is it a substantial amount?
I do think painted wood will hold up for quite some time. It can't rust and is easily replaceable down the road if need be. There is a cost savings but more in time savings for me. Way quicker to cut and drill wood than metal. This is my first time trying this to see what happens. I did weld in a new cross member by the fire box. Wood would have been much quicker;-)

I've worked with metal for most of my life and have a somewhat uneasy relationship with wood. I have several ways of making accurate cuts and drilling holes and hole patterns and it's easy for me to overlook that others may not have the tools at hand that I have. I think you will be fine with using wood.

EDIT: California is a dry climate and becoming more so as time goes by. What is this rust of whence you speak? :)

Back