Any Must Have or Nice to Have Accessories?

MichaelJF

TVWBB Member
My 22in WSM should be delivered tomorrow. It's the smoker I originally wanted, and came back to, after considering a pellet machine and reverse cabinet.

Hopefully I can break it in this weekend but to do so I was hoping to get some feedback on any must-have or nice-to-have accessories. Stuff like a chimney or other utensils and tools that are worth the price.

I do plan on purchasing a electronic controller. Leaning towards the HeaterMeter but haven't eliminated the simplicity of the Guru DX2.

Any info is appreciated.

Michael

Chimney, definitely. My only other accessories are a hinge for the lid (nice to have, but not critical) and a Maverick ET-732 dual thermometer. I like the Maverick (although opinions vary). Its simple, gives me a pretty accurate read on grill and food temps, but no automation.

Hi Michael, welcome! A chimney starter would be a good place to start. The stores might be starting to clear out a lot of their bbq stuff soon since in the retail world grilling season is ending so you might find some great deals at Lowes or Home Depot on accessories.

WSM, chimney starter, charcoal, and meat, that's all you really need.
Therms are nice too, but I don't see the need for a controller unless you're into comps or gadgets, my opinion only.

First...welcome to the site. A chimney is a must I think you also need heat resistant gloves to pull that big roast off of the grates.

Definitely a chimney and a good probe thermometer are important.I have both the Maverick 732 and the Igrii2 which is what I'm currently using. I also have the Guru DX2. I agree with Bob that it is noe essential but it has made the process easier for me (and I just like gadgets).

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have a ThermaPen and a cheapo probe thermometer from Thermoworks that I use for other cooking but I've been thinking about one of their nicer two probe monitors.

Any opinion on the large Weber chimney vs the compact one? I read reviews on Amazon and some feel the large is too big for smaller, lower temp smoker fires.

Michael,

If you want a smaller fire from the large chimney, just use fewer briquettes or coals.

I think the Weber expandable hanging rack is a must-have accessory especially for the 22" WSM. But you certainly don't need it to get started.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy that new 22. Once you get it dialed in there is really not much more needed. What Bob Correll said works for me.

Thanks for the additional feedback. I'll take a look at the expandable rack. I was looking at a rib rack too.

I am a sucker for toys and gadgets which is why I'm likely to end up with the HeaterMeter. It looks fun to assemble.

Back