any blackstone griddle fans out there?

I watched an RVing video the other day in which a couple swapped their Weber Q for a Blackstone 22" two burner griddle with hood. If you were RVing, which would you choose between these two?
I guess it would depend on how and what you like to cook and eat. You could always just add the griddle to the Q and have the best of both worlds. I think that their will be a lot of used griddles and RVs for sale in the future. It is getting hard to get RV sites and griddles get nasty if not taken care of.

I watched an RVing video the other day in which a couple swapped their Weber Q for a Blackstone 22" two burner griddle with hood. If you were RVing, which would you choose between these two?
Likely Q or Traveler. I got the griddle mainly for breakfast, 6 kids to feed but none like my breakfast burritos which means more for me and the ol lady which is fine with us haha

I’ve not yet tried dinner items like steaks or burgers or anything.

The Blackstone will excel in the following, just to name a few:

Smashburger’s, philly cheese steak, fajita’s & breakfast.

Since I have been using the griddle it is starting to get a little confusing as to what I cook on the grill vs griddle. Salmon and swordfish come out out really good on the griddle also. Vegetables also come out good and no worries about falling through the grates. Hamburgers are also an either or it seems as some folks think they are juicier on the griddle.

I would think something like tri-tip or meatloaf would be tricky on a griddle, even with a cover?
I did tri tip on my 22" BS while we were camping, Chris. Elevated the tri tip off the griddle on a small cooling/cooking rack, then dropped a disposable roasting pan over top. Stuck my Smoke probe through the pan to monitor temps, and cooked at a gentle 250F (air temp) until 120F internal, then seared on the griddle. Over the top good camp food! :) (sorry, no pics.)

R

I've had this 10"x18" two sided cast griddle for years. I bought a Traveler this year this griddle can just be laid directly on the grill grates. I have made breakfast on it a couple times. Last weekend we made some smash burgers for the first time and from all the great comments don't think I will be grilling burgers anymore.

Couple of small issues: 1) can only fit 6 patties (3 double burgers) at one time. 2) once the beef is smashed it takes a while for the griddle to come to temperature again. (Are these issues on single purpose griddles?)

Wonder if Weber is working on a griddle for the Traveler?

Mike

I have found that in order to get and keep a griddle hot it needs to be directly over flames. In a Q this means dedicated half round or oval griddle and pulling off the grate to use. On a grill with flavorizer bars, they need to come out. I found it greasy and troublesome to do that each time I used the griddle so I went with a the Razor as a dedicated folding griddle. After doing many smash burgers, I am back to thicker ones as I like them medium and pink in the middle. I do them charcoal, griddle, or hot grill. I did see White Castle molds and kind of want to try that for fun some time.

I have found that in order to get and keep a griddle hot it needs to be directly over flames. In a Q this means dedicated half round or oval griddle and pulling off the grate to use. On a grill with flavorizer bars, they need to come out. I found it greasy and troublesome to do that each time I used the griddle so I went with a the Razor as a dedicated folding griddle. After doing many smash burgers, I am back to thicker ones as I like them medium and pink in the middle. I do them charcoal, griddle, or hot grill. I did see White Castle molds and kind of want to try that for fun some time.
I just noticed the Traveler is about 1/2 the BTU's compared to similar sized griddles.

I saw this at Sam's (good deal?): https://www.samsclub.com/p/tabletop-griddle-stainless-steel-front-plate/prod24380771

I took the grill off my Weber Q 120 and too it to a welder and had him cut a piece of quarter inch thick black steel to match along with a couple of half moon cuts on the back of it for drainage and air flow. Works great as a griddle. So I have a portable griddle and a portable gas grill. Only problem is that if you close the top with the griddle the flame goes out, so you still have to have a "dome lid" if you want to use steam. But that's no a real problem.

I took the grill off my Weber Q 120 and too it to a welder and had him cut a piece of quarter inch thick black steel to match along with a couple of half moon cuts on the back of it for drainage and air flow. Works great as a griddle. So I have a portable griddle and a portable gas grill. Only problem is that if you close the top with the griddle the flame goes out, so you still have to have a "dome lid" if you want to use steam. But that's no a real problem.
Interesting idea. I wonder if the half moon cuts were on the sides by the hood vents if it would have worked better than in the back. How much was it to make if you don't mind posting.

Interesting idea. I wonder if the half moon cuts were on the sides by the hood vents if it would have worked better than in the back. How much was it to make if you don't mind posting.
I cut a couple of vents on the side when I discovered the flame out problem. Didn't help. Travels well in our camper. The steam cover (rectangle one from Walmart) fits under the grill hood, along with a large spatula and a scraper.

I cut a couple of vents on the side when I discovered the flame out problem. Didn't help. Travels well in our camper. The steam cover (rectangle one from Walmart) fits under the grill hood, along with a large spatula and a scraper.
About $30.

Are you still liking the Blue Rhino? I just picked one up used and so far love it. I just did bacon and swordfish. An additional shelf on the right side would be nice. It would have to be removable so that it could still fold. I will have to think on how this could be done.
View attachment 39088View attachment 39089View attachment 39090

Since I have been using the griddle it is starting to get a little confusing as to what I cook on the grill vs griddle. Salmon and swordfish come out out really good on the griddle also. Vegetables also come out good and no worries about falling through the grates. Hamburgers are also an either or it seems as some folks think they are juicier on the griddle.

Does this sound like a correct statement below? I'm asking, so I have a better understanding of what I should cook on a Blackstone, vs. gas grill, charcoal grill, or Lodge square cast iron griddle.

If I'm not going to smoke fish, then the Blackstone would be the best device to use for fish?

Is fish less likely to get stuck on a Blackstone, then it would a grill?

Back