Any 2021 Weber Gas Grill Rumors?

I see a lot of rusted stainless Weber's here.

Horace,
Yes, that was my experience on the east coast of South Florida as well. I will say that not all "stainless" Webers are the same. The 2005-6 Genesis Platinum was made with what seems to be 304 stainless for the frame and for the hood. These hold up great, although the plain painted steel cabinetry below disintegrates rapidly - and not just in Florida. On the other hand, the newer Spirit and some other "stainless" hood & shelf Webers are clearly low grade stainless. One of those sitting out in rural property owned by our church - way inland no less - looked like it had a bad case of measles in no time.

Maybe the answer is that not even quality stainless lasts for very long on the coasts? I thought the stainless on the new Genesis II s was good quality 300 series? But I don't know that for a fact. I just know it's not magnetic (hood and side tables).

I'm glad I don't live coastal (even though I love the beach). That would be heart breaking to see a beloved grill disintegrate.

Maybe the answer is that not even quality stainless lasts for very long on the coasts? I thought the stainless on the new Genesis II s was good quality 300 series? But I don't know that for a fact. I just know it's not magnetic (hood and side tables).

I'm glad I don't live coastal (even though I love the beach). That would be heart breaking to see a beloved grill disintegrate.

Greg,
I think that Weber improved the stainless with the Genesis II line. I know the Spirit stainless is highly magnetic and some Genesis 300 series stainless parts are also.

I live and boat on Long Island, NY, all saltwater. The alloy of the stainless steel makes a difference, 304 is OK but 316 is much better and is typically used on most boats. I fabricate and install a lot of stainless doors and panels, always using the best the material and they still need to be maintained a few times each year. Dirt and dust will collect in the grain of the material holding water, that causes the spots to appear. I have a saying every one of our customers hear. "Its stain-less not stain-free"

My boat was built in 1968 and the stainless steel still looks like new, good alloy and up-keep.

100_0621.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, 316 would be the best, it seems. I did see that one company is marketing a grill made entirely of 316 stainless. PK uses it on their grates for their higher end "360" grill. I try to get 316 stainless nuts, bolts and screws on my grill restorations where possible.

I would be interested to see the new gas grill electronic monitoring system. Is it just a built in remote thermometer or something more?

I wonder how weather resistant
I would be interested to see the new gas grill electronic monitoring system. Is it just a built in remote thermometer
I'm hoping then they're phasing out the non-electric grills and putting them on sale this winter!

I'm actually trying to get away from those sorts of things as they seem to be the sort of accessories that need repairs (not to mention I have a Thermoworks Signals). Tired of fixing my lighted knobs and such on my 12 year old Summit. Going to simplify to a Genesis II I think.

I agree. The "electronic ignition" with the batteries is a big pain in the butt. Another whole set of electronics left out in the elements, exposed to heat and moisture over and over will present that many more problems.

2007 genesis ep-320 copper has held up well, 1 mile from the beach in Solana Beach north of San Diego. Genesis II is almost holding up well no rust etc.
Could be our drier air, moderate temps?

Yeah, that will definitely do it.

Here are some samples of later Genesis and Summit grills I have dealt with while I lived in South Florida:

Very Rusty Genesis 320.jpg
Rusty Genesis 310.jpg
Summit Rusty Bottom.jpg

I was blessed to have a brief opportunity to vacation in the San Diego area in July. Compared to steamy, humid South Florida it was like being in heaven! Maybe that is why Chris' 1st generation Summit has also fared so well. Of course, for both of you, good reasonable care matters as well.

I was blessed to have a brief opportunity to vacation in the San Diego area in July. Compared to steamy, humid South Florida it was like being in heaven! Maybe that is why Chris' 1st generation Summit has also fared so well. Of course, for both of you, good reasonable care matters as well.

Well, I wouldn't compare life here to being in heaven, but we do have great weather...and high property values, so much so that if you live here and ever leave, after a year or two you won't be able to afford to move back.

Average home price where Chris lives (SF, I think) is about $1.4M, last I heard. Houses on my block are going for about a third of that. Rentals are priced accordingly. It's not cheap to live here, just sayin'.

Well, I wouldn't compare life here to being in heaven, but we do have great weather...and high property values, so much so that if you live here and ever leave, after a year or two you won't be able to afford to move back.

Average home price where Chris lives (SF, I think) is about $1.4M, last I heard. Houses on my block are going for about a third of that. Rentals are priced accordingly. It's not cheap to live here, just sayin'.
When we visited the Midway Aircraft carrier, the guide said "I am sure you are enjoying our nice weather." (It was 74 in the first week of July; I told my wife that San Diego was like having your own outdoor thermostat: "I will set it at 73, no 74 today!") Anyway, the guide then said, "If you are thinking about moving here - DON'T! We already have enough people!" I could readily see there was no way I could ever afford to live there anyway 😁 . It was certainly a really nice visit!

When we visited the Midway Aircraft carrier, the guide said "I am sure you are enjoying our nice weather." (It was 74 in the first week of July; I told my wife that San Diego was like having your own outdoor thermostat: "I will set it at 73, no 74 today!") Anyway, the guide then said, "If you are thinking about moving here - DON'T! We already have enough people!" I could readily see there was no way I could ever afford to live there anyway 😁 . It was certainly a really nice visit!
I just want to say that when you guys post pictures with backgrounds of autumn leaves and snow and no fences and backyards with woods in the distance I am the one that is envious.

Ed, wait until the posts with a foot of snow on top of our grills start hitting the list. And too bad pictures don't show the actual temperature.

Yeah, that will definitely do it.

Here are some samples of later Genesis and Summit grills I have dealt with while I lived in South Florida:

View attachment 17858
View attachment 17859
View attachment 17860

The inside of that Summit looks exactly like the inside of mine here in St. Louis. :-(

Back