Another weekend of cooking. Some success and some TBD

Dan C. FL

TVWBB Pro
I took Friday off of work to meet the pest control guy at the house. After he came and visited, I knew I wanted to grill something. The wife was craving steaks, but she wasn't more specific than that. So, I went to our Publix (which has some of the most beautiful steaks in the butcher case) in search of dinner. I didn't see anything horribly inspiring in the regular case, so I went over to the fancy butcher case and found this beautiful Prime NY Strip.

1PUTE7Ql.jpg

I was kinda craving potato, so I grabbed a big potato to wrap in foil and cooked it on the coals. The potato came out perfect...crispy skin and light fluffy insides.

pCGR9wul.jpg

That steak didn't come out too badly either.

1JQuRyDl.jpg

Saturday was dinner at a friend's house. I decided to forego taking pics but he made kabobs and Persian Rice. It was good.

I've been craving some pulled pork for a while, and with the nieces gone, I needed to learn how to scale down. I picked up a small bone in Boston Butt from Publix (it's the only place I've seen them cut one this small).

scBX4VWl.jpg

Rubbed it up and threw it on the smoker.

uef3Wmcl.jpg

vcLtWCil.jpg

In trying to guesstimate, I figured the usual 1.5-2 hours per pound would apply. So, I figured 6-8 hours cook time. About 4 hours into it, it became readily apparent that this was not going to be done anywhere near dinner time. Temps were holding steady in the smoker at about 260* just like they should. But, the meat was just not progressing as fast as I thought. Luckily, the wife was at the grocery store for something else. So, she picked up a bunch of chicken breasts. We kabobed some and some I just grilled whole with garlic powder and lemon pepper. They became dinner.

31cyEWsl.jpg

DWBN7YCl.jpg

QWhutb7l.jpg

The Butt did a small stall at about 150*-ish. But, then the problem came. I started losing temperature. No worries, this is the 14" WSM, it's not going to go much more than 9 hours or so on KBB without adding more. So, I went and added KBB. In the process, the cooker temp dropped down from 260 to 190. I fought with it for about an hour and finally got it back up to temp. But, in the meantime, the meat LOST 4* IT. Apparently, I somehow induced a second stall. Is that even possible?

The meat sat there at about 170* for-freaking-ever. In the end, I pulled it off of the smoker at 2:15 a.m. (that's 10 hours and 15 minutes after that little thing went on; for reference, 9 lbs. butts that I usually get are done in 13 hours). I usually wait for my butts to get to 195* before I pull them. But, I just wasn't going to wait for it to come up another 5 degrees. So, I cheated. I double foiled it, put it in the cooler for an hour and let it kinda finish itself off. After I was finished cleaning up, it had been in there for an hour. I decided that rather than pull it and risk it drying out, I'd just throw it in the fridge whole and go to bed. So, I have no finished pics and I have no idea how this thing came out. I'll reheat it tonight and shred some and see. Oh, and I didn't even tell you the funny thermometer story, but I've babbled enough for now.

Hope y'all had a great weekend!

Great food and narrative Dan. Stalls are always fun. The chuckie I smoked yesterday took off like a rocket, it was at 150 in less than 2 hours. It stayed around 155 forever and actually dropped a few degrees once or twice. I would have figured a 4# butt would be finished on the 14 without having to refuel, go figure.

Great food and narrative Dan. Stalls are always fun. The chuckie I smoked yesterday took off like a rocket, it was at 150 in less than 2 hours. It stayed around 155 forever and actually dropped a few degrees once or twice. I would have figured a 4# butt would be finished on the 14 without having to refuel, go figure.

Thanks Pat!! I figured 9 hours tops. If it stayed within the 6-9 hour range that I thought it was going to cook in, it would've finished on just one load in the 14"-er. I heated and ate it last night. It wasn't done. The fat in it hadn't rendered fully which left me some dry meat with fat pockets and it was a little tough and stringy. That being said, the flavor was spot on. Such is the cost of my impatience (or, rather, my unwillingness to stay up to closer to 4 or 5 a.m. on a work night).

First of all that steak from the "fancy butcher" looks fabulous. I like to go large too....when I can afford it. Looks like it came out perfectly. Butts can be so tricky. If we've got company coming or some sort of absolute deadline to eat, I plan for the meat to be done ridiculously early. Foil, a towel and a good cooler will keep the meat hot for quite a long time, removing the stress from the cook and feeding the guests and family on time. Nice cooks Dan.

I'd say you were one busy person. Both cooks look great and the kabobs saved the day.

Back