Another slot mod

Grant

TVWBB Member
Untitled by gakc2005, on Flickr

Just a pic of another slot mod. For those of you on the fence, DO IT. I bought this 18.5 early this year thinking it would have the silicone grommet. It didn't but I kept it anyway. Slotted it the other day by with a 3/8 inch drill bit and a Dremel. Two coats of high temp paint later, its perfect. So easy to move and relocate wires. I'm about to pull the trigger on an ET-732 and have a Digiq lined up for Fathers Day. Should be plenty of room for all 3 wires. Took 10 minutes tops.

Imo, the slot is too much invasive. Actually, I have done some long cooks (3/4 chimneys unlit w/tin can method, w/ or w/o water in the water pan) using this way to the upper grate

IMG_4506 di BBQness, su Flickr

No demages to the wires at the moment! Once I cooked at 330F for hours, but normally i don't. I prefer 250/275 F.

Personally the wires through the doors give me the same problems of the wires through grommets, when the probes are in the food on the top rack and I want to take out the whole rack and food I have to remove the probes, there isn't enough play to move the rack 3 feet away.

Here is how I slotted my top, I know use the grommets only for the bottom rack

I put in a Brass bolt and nut drilled thru...pretty easy to put probe in cold or hot with gloves, but don't like smoke in my eyes...slot pretty functional, but oh poor mr WSM....forgive us for violating you so.

Thanks. What about the gray rubber ones? I thought they come from Weber, but Weber told me they don't sell them.

I think I have heard of people here getting them from Weber. I have one on my 14.5 and they work fine but I don't know if they are that much better than the Cajan Bandit grommets. I like my slot the best for the upper grate.

OK, I'm convinced - I'll quit pinching my wires. Is there any magic on deciding where to cut the slot? For now, my plan is to rotate the middle section until the door is where I want it to be and then cut the notch based on where I usually put my Maverick and CyberQ.

OK, I'm convinced - I'll quit pinching my wires. Is there any magic on deciding where to cut the slot? For now, my plan is to rotate the middle section until the door is where I want it to be and then cut the notch based on where I usually put my Maverick and CyberQ.

Mark, that is how I decided to cut my slot. I usually set up everything to the right of my WSM so the slot went in just to the right of the door. Good luck buddy, I was scared as hell taking a grinder wheel to my baby, but it was quick and painless (for me anyway) and I never looked back.

Mark
That is exactly what I did. If you have an angle grinder or can borrow one it is super easy to do, I cut two, very little smoke comes out of the holes

Thanks! I saw where Bob C and Dwain P used a Dremmel with a cutting wheel, and I have one of those, so I'll give that a shot. It also looks like Home Depot has some very inexpensive high heat black paint intended specifically for grills, so I'll probably hit the exposed metal with a couple of coats of that. And Jeff, that video is VERY helpful!!! Thanks for posting it.

Back