Another slot mod

I did the slot mod on the 18.5 and the 22.5 last night. I ended up with more of a V-shaped notch from using a smaller, thinner cutting wheel, but it looks like two or three wires should fit without pinching. I like the look of Jeff's notch better so still plan on trying to find an angle grinder to clean it up a bit.

I did the slot mod on the 18.5 and the 22.5 last night. I ended up with more of a V-shaped notch from using a smaller, thinner cutting wheel, but it looks like two or three wires should fit without pinching. I like the look of Jeff's notch better so still plan on trying to find an angle grinder to clean it up a bit.
You might be able to round the bottom of the vee with a chainsaw file (round file).
Cut while pushing into the barrel only....don't see-saw back and forth or you might put a chip on the outside.

Thanks for the idea! I love the brainstorming that goes on here.
Another idea that was mentioned recently by Gary...
If you are going to incorporate the Nomex gasket system, leave a small gap in the gasket where your notch/probes are going to live.
Then your notch can stop at the bottom of the vertical section and does not have to penetrate into the "shelf" (or bench) area.
The gasket should provide just enough lift to keep direct lid pressure off of the therm leads.

The "Mav Gap".

Alright, alright already. GEEZ! :p

I did the slot mod today using a dremel before I put some baby backs on. It is definitely easier to use than the grommet.

Now I just have to do it on the performer

I can see where y'all are going with this. There have been a couple times that I got her all fired up and forgot to insert the probes first. But it doesn't seem like that much work to pull the lid, set the upper grate aside, run the probes, reset the grate, and replace the lid. Not saying I am against the idea or other mods in general, just don't see major benefit.

I can see where y'all are going with this. There have been a couple times that I got her all fired up and forgot to insert the probes first. But it doesn't seem like that much work to pull the lid, set the upper grate aside, run the probes, reset the grate, and replace the lid. Not saying I am against the idea or other mods in general, just don't see major benefit.
I just did a port mod tutorial a couple of threads back.
But I can definitely see the advantage to the slot mod for accessing the top grate area.
The leads just drop in....no threading.

Some are not comfortable lowering an angle grinder onto their WSM though.

I just did a port mod tutorial a couple of threads back.
But I can definitely see the advantage to the slot mod for accessing the top grate area.
The leads just drop in....no threading.

Some are not comfortable lowering an angle grinder onto their WSM though.

Once I got over restocking one of my .22 Target rifles (poor baby) moding the WSM wasn't a bid deal. I had already drilled 2 holes for grommets but decided on the slot.

The WSM is a tool, not a work of art! As a tool you need to fit it to your needs. Also I figured if I totally screwed it up I could always buy another mid section!

Once I got over restocking one of my .22 Target rifles (poor baby) moding the WSM wasn't a bid deal. I had already drilled 2 holes for grommets but decided on the slot.

The WSM is a tool, not a work of art! As a tool you need to fit it to your needs. Also I figured if I totally screwed it up I could always buy another mid section!
I think I hear a hot saw spooling up !

uf-k960-14.jpg

Back