Another question....tis the season....people are buying right nowwwwww

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
I stocked up on several grills to resto and the people are going nuts right now. I dont usually work on the newer grills but if one pops up and is a great deal I jump on it. I have a very new looking E210 in great condition. Everything works great but she is a slow starter :( The spark is very very good but I think the prob is the spark probe is set too high.....I have not taken it apart yet so i thought I would ask u guys before I do. Can I just bend either the probe or the metal that the probe rides in downward so the spark ignites the grill faster?

Attachments

• 20210307_163743.jpg
    20210307_163743.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 11
I think those grills have a ceramic housing over the electrode, so if you do start bending it, make sure you don't crack that housing. But, yah, without actually seeing the electrode, that is how I would try to fix it.

Yes they do have the ceramic over the top.....I was wondering if the electrode is brittle or not.......if it is I will bend the mounting frame to get that electrode closer to the burner tube. It makes me nervous to keep clickin' and nothing happens :( cause we r so used to the old school grills firing up on the first click.

The electrode itself should bend easily enough, but the ceramic will not bend, it will break if too much force is applied to it. Also, like you said, it might just be the clip that the housing/electrode mount onto is bent away from the burner a bit too far.

Can you see spark every time you hit the button.....try it without the gas on and see.

Oh ya the thing sparks like a mule but it takes uncomfortably long for it to ignite. Probably a full 30 seconds ....I wont let it go any longer then that.....and even then my head is off to the side and I am cringing. Once it fires it burns perfectly.

Attachments

• 20210307_161738.jpg
    20210307_161738.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210307_155324.jpg
    20210307_155324.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 19
Its very odd........when selling these newer grills there is no resto involved just a little cleaning and maybe some bars and get er gone!

There clearly isn't a good enough gas flow to the electrode arc area if it is getting good spark but not igniting. Once the burners light, do they burn well?

Those Spirit II grills in red, ivory, and sapphire were big sellers when available. You'll have no problem selling it once you get the spark figured out.

I had a sapphire one last year with a similar problem and contacted Weber with the issue. They sent me new burner tubes at no cost which addressed the gas flow problem.

Thanks for the replies......interesting what Kelly said. These tubes are not clogged but maybe the holes are a bit small on the initial curve under the spark. I already hit Weber up for flavor bars which they sent out right away. I will do my best to figure this one out. They burn very nice once lit.

Thanks for the replies......interesting what Kelly said. These tubes are not clogged but maybe the holes are a bit small on the initial curve under the spark. I already hit Weber up for flavor bars which they sent out right away. I will do my best to figure this one out. They burn very nice once lit.
Did you get them under warranty?

Joe,
It's hard to tell for sure from your picture, but it does look like maybe the ceramic shield has too much gap between it and the burner tube. Not sure what you can do to tighten that without breaking the ceramic as has been warned against. With a gap as wide as it appears to have, gas isn't going to collect as well as I think it should.

Yep.....im gunna try to close that gap tonight.......if i break something i will go to plan B.........Weber Warranty

Interesting enough........I picked up the exact same grill and brought it back to the shop. I hooked it to a tank and pushed the button and it fired in one second. So for my slow starting grill I know what I need to do......just need to find the time......the grilling world is on fire around here right now.....I cant keep up with it..........

Good problem to have! I hope I can survive this now extended tax season and get some grills done to get in on the action! The economy is in hyperdrive for most, even though some are still suffering from COVID-related downturns. So many people getting "stimulus" money that they really didn't need to survive. $ looking for a place to land - might as well be to us grill restorers!

Yep plus a lot of people working from home and not going to restaurants makes grilling out the new hot number!!!!

Caveat: Not Weber oriented.

Yoder's demand has been going up. They have a 22 week lead time on charcoal grills right now. If you order one today, it'll probably September before you get it.

Back