Another GOAT gone

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
We lost another GOAT. Gordon Lightfoot passed away last night. Glad we had the chance to see him last September. It was sad to see and hear how weak he'd become. But his timing and his playing were still spot on. Of all the artists I've taken the time to see in concert he was the most often. Likely over the years, about 30 times or more. RIP

:( I missed an opportunity to see him a few years ago in the Twin Cities. Might be time to send a few of his tracks through the stereo tonight.

I am a huge fan of Gordon Lightfoot too. Tried to get tickets to a concert of his...tickets went on sale at 10 am I was at the window at 10:10 am and concert was already sold out...bought tickets to see Traffic instead. First album I bought by Gordon Lightfoot was "Sit Down Young Stranger", and shortly after it's release it was renamed "If You Could Read My Mind". I don't know what it's worth but I'll never sell it....

It is hard to see talent pass, but, it is still part of many of the best songs written. I miss many of the artists I’ve enjoyed over the years. U.Utah Phillip, Jim Ringer, Frank Salamone, too many to name sadly. They are never bothered by being out of tune again!
Especially the 12 string players!😉

How is it that I missed this until just now, four days later? Ugh. Same with Bill Paxton, missed that one by months.

Gordon was one of my faves. Well, still is. Dang.

Since I've moved to the Nashville area I've decided to see anyone I can afford before they are gone. There is a venue here that had ZZ Top and Jeff Beck last year. Missed that one. John Fogerty is playing here in July. Already have tickets.

How is it that I missed this until just now, four days later? Ugh. Same with Bill Paxton, missed that one by months.

At the Mariners Church in Detroit the day after the songwriter died, on May 2nd 2023, at 3:00pm, the bell rang 30 times, 29 times for the crew of the Edmund Fitzgerald plus one more for Gordon Lightfoot.

Yep, another GOAT is Frankie Valli who just turned 88. We're going to see him and the 4 seasons here at the Coronado in Rockford this summer. Happily he's taken much better care of himself and viewing recent recordings of him live in concert he can still hit those high notes that make my nether regions "hurt" :D
I have also been lucky enough to see Tony Bennet multiple times, Ella Fitzgerald and The Queen of Soul herself Aretha to name just a few

I think you mean Tom Paxton, Bill was an actor, no relation as far as I know.

Yep, another GOAT is Frankie Valli who just turned 88. We're going to see him and the 4 seasons here at the Coronado in Rockford this summer. Happily he's taken much better care of himself and viewing recent recordings of him live in concert he can still hit those high notes that make my nether regions "hurt" :D
I have also been lucky enough to see Tony Bennet multiple times, Ella Fitzgerald and The Queen of Soul herself Aretha to name just a few
I went to high school in Newark, NJ, where Franki Valli is from.

I am very familiar with all of the places depicted in the opening credits of the Sopranos. Satriales pork store is a fabrication for TV but a copy of many similar places up and down Bloomfield Ave.

I went to high school in Newark, NJ, where Franki Valli is from.

I am very familiar with all of the places depicted in the opening credits of the Sopranos. Satriales pork store is a fabrication for TV but a copy of many similar places up and down Bloomfield Ave.
Reminds me of another GOAT in James Gandolfini.. The way he played Tony was so incredible. I grew up around those types of people and an absolutely remarkable portrayal

This is one of the places in the opening credits. It's on Belleville Pike, N. Arlington. Not the best pizza in the general area as it's a target rich environment for some of the best pizza anywhere. But watching that series and some of the settings is haunting to me.
pizzaland-outside-resize.jpg

I think you mean Tom Paxton, Bill was an actor, no relation as far as I know.
I meant Bill. Was in Twister and Apollo 13 and such. Didn’t hear about his death until months later…

Just got it in my head when I thought about missing Gordon’s by a couple days ya know?

I meant Bill. Was in Twister and Apollo 13 and such. Didn’t hear about his death until months later…

Just got it in my head when I thought about missing Gordon’s by a couple days ya know?
OK, I was just in the “musician” mode, not thinking about actors. Sorry for that “incorrection”.
Tom Paxton is still alive, 81 years old. Sorry for the premature obit, Tom!😉

Back