Another Butt Thread :-)

Erik Tracy

TVWBB Pro
Seems butts are popular today! :giggle:

I got up before dawn to get the WSM fired up for a 7lb pork butt I got yesterday.

It weighed in more untrimmed, so had to trim off the cap, clean it up and get it ready.

I used a honey mustard slather, then my own rub that is brown sugar based, but then a whole bunch of spices and seasoning for sweet with heat taste.
Butt-Rubbed-1-10-21.jpg

WSM set up with a Soo's Donut load and buried chunks of hickory and pecan
Soo-Donut-1-10-21.jpg

Chimney red and hot and ready to pour in the predawn skies
Chimney-Ready-1-10-21.jpg

Butt on the grate and my Maverick probe in for monitoring right before pouring the coals and getting the WSM back together
Butt-On-1-10-21.jpg

WSM assembled and rolling on
WSM-Rolling-1-10-21.jpg

Predawn shot of the open space behind my house right before sunrise - it was a crisp 40F where I'm at in San Diego.
Sunrise-1-10-21.jpg

Time for breakfast while the rig does its thing! More later!

You are correct, butts are popular today! that looks really good! I done exact same method, trim (ive never trimmed before), mustard bath, and then some good rub. I used Scott's Santa Maria seasoning and some BBQ seasoning. Dry Brined it over night.

Keep it up man!

Just finished cleaning up the aftermath.

The pork butt turned out really nice!

Pulled off the WSM at an internal temp of 201F for resting and passing the butter soft test
Done-1-10-21.jpg

That ain't burnt - that's bark! ;)

Homemade mac-n-cheese with some applewood bacon bits on top
mac-cheese-1-10-21.jpg

Plated with some fries and a side salad
Plated-1-10-21.jpg

Very very pleased with the results; gorgeous bark, moist, great smoke to pork to rub balance.

The family gave it thumbs up all around.

Looks terrific Erik. Mac and cheese and fries are perfect sides for your pork. Like the mod's you did on your wsm too, charcoal grate and wheels.

That looks great........all of it! Thanks for sharing the great pics.

I've got a 6# butt thawing in the refrigerator for a Wednesday cook. It is supposed to be near 70 degF here in KC. WooHoo!

Back