Another B&B sale at Ace

I was just at my local Academy and had to walk through the barbecue section. They had 5 bags of B&B Oak Charcoal, the orange bags, 17# . Still the same price $9. This does not show up on their web site. I've learned that I've gotta go in the store to check their stock.

The Orscheln store I went to had a lot of it, I bought 4 bags at the $7.99 per bag sale price.
Used some for today's pulled pork, it worked great in my little WSM.

I was just at my local Academy and had to walk through the barbecue section. They had 5 bags of B&B Oak Charcoal, the orange bags, 17# . Still the same price $9. This does not show up on their web site. I've learned that I've gotta go in the store to check their stock.
I’ll have to go in my local store to check. Thanks Lynn!

One thing that surprised me is that B&B briqs are made in Mexico.
Not a big deal, but I'd never seen it mentioned. Not sure about their other types.

I like B&B oak charcoal because when its igniting in the chimney, it does not produce all the white billowy smoke that Kingsford puts off. If there's no wind and I fire up a chimney of KBB, it can be hard to see from one end of the patio to the other for all the smoke.

And B&B has a nice aroma. First time I used B&B, my neighbor stuck his head over the fence to see what was burning. He thought it might've been a grass fire or something, though B&B smells nothing like that. It was just so different from what I had used in the past and he was unfamiliar with it. ( btw, he's a young guy, bout 40 yo, and I think I'm having an influence on him, he just bought a Pit Boss ) .

I just lit a chimney of ROCS. It doesn't smoke as badly as KBB, but puts out far more smoke than B&B Oak. And its mostly a white smoke with a blue tint.

I just lit a chimney of ROCS. It doesn't smoke as badly as KBB, but puts out far more smoke than B&B Oak. And its mostly a white smoke with a blue tint.
ROCS (from my local bbq shop for a really good price) and RO All Natural (from Walmart) are my go to for fast/hot/simple/weekday cooks. B&B Briquettes, Blue Hog Briquettes, and B&B logs have become my go tos for the WSM or "fancier"/longer/hotest cooks in the kettle. I feel in a great place with this mix of charcoal and cost I spend for it in a post Weber Briquettes world.
I feel like this give me a few choices of natural charcoal with still getting to use Briquettes which I like a lot more.

I used the Royal Oak All Natural brown bag from Walmart and it worked pretty well. Royal Oak is so confusing in the product naming it's hard to tell what product is what and then they change it on you.

ROCS (from my local bbq shop for a really good price) and RO All Natural (from Walmart) are my go to for fast/hot/simple/weekday cooks. B&B Briquettes, Blue Hog Briquettes, and B&B logs have become my go tos for the WSM or "fancier"/longer/hotest cooks in the kettle. I feel in a great place with this mix of charcoal and cost I spend for it in a post Weber Briquettes world.
I feel like this give me a few choices of natural charcoal with still getting to use Briquettes which I like a lot more.
I tried Royal Oak All Natural and was surprised how much smoke came out from a full chimney. They leave lots of ash and the briquettes crumble very easily when you try to reuse them. Overall they work okay for the price.

B&B briquettes are my favorite so far.

Just got a bag of Cowboy All Natural briquettes for the first time, going to test them out this weekend.

1623945441338.png

I saw on a reddit post this morning that Franklin has all natural briquets. Those who have them said they got them at HEB. We do not have HEB's around me and I was not able to find any information about this product in my search. Have any of you seen these or tried them?

View attachment 30608

I saw on a reddit post this morning that Franklin has all natural briquets. Those who have them said they got them at HEB. We do not have HEB's around me and I was not able to find any information about this product in my search. Have any of you seen these or tried them?
Interesting.
I ran down the Reddit post and the poster says it's made in Mexico. That seems to be the going thing, B&B, Blues Hog, and Cowboy briquets are made there.
Here's their pic of it burning:

1623948143797.png

View attachment 30608

Pure speculation on my part, but the restaurant industry has a very very tough year and its not getting better quickly. Even as economies open back up, its still lagging behind. I would guess Franklin Barbecue has not been immune to that. Appears Aaron has created another revenue stream by putting his name on charcoal.

Appears Aaron has created another revenue stream by putting his name on charcoal.

My personal suspicion is that it may be that Aaron Franklin has seen the revenue stream with his name on it, or someone else has seen it and is paying him for the privilege of branding. As long as product quality is there, Franklin wins and so does the manufacturer. If the quality isn't there, Franklin will have to ride herd (in either case) to get quality up, or his name off of it.

My personal suspicion is that it may be that Aaron Franklin has seen the revenue stream with his name on it, or someone else has seen it and is paying him for the privilege of branding. As long as product quality is there, Franklin wins and so does the manufacturer. If the quality isn't there, Franklin will have to ride herd (in either case) to get quality up, or his name off of it.

Yes, that's what I meant. he's not involved in manufacturing this charcoal. Somebody came to him with a deal to put his name on it. Its been a tough year in the restaurant business.

He's had ample opportunity to cash in on his name. He's passed it up. He won't open another location. I have no doubt he's been offered huge deals to franchise his name. The barbecue pits and another restaurant , Loro, which I understand is barbecue and Asian fusion, or something like that, is all he's done.

Back