Anniversary surf 'n' turf

Todd NC

TVWBB Pro
The wife and I celebrated our 23rd anniversary Sunday. I proposed to her (no pun intended) that we cook a nice meal at home instead of going out - not a COVID hangup, just figured we could cook a better meal at home.

The plan was for a surf 'n' turf meal with some good sides. I bought 3 prime ribeyes from a local butcher shop. I put a nice coating of kosher salt and let them hang out in the fridge, uncovered, for about 18 hours.

IMG_3952.jpeg

After finishing up their brine, a few lobster buddies decided to come out of the cold water and pay a visit.

IMG_3954.jpeg

Once the ribeyes were dressed up for the grill with Oak Ridge BBQ Carne Costa Steakhouse Rub, the lobsters decided to "split".

IMG_3955.jpeg

All the while that was going on, their potato friends were getting smashed - after hanging out in some boiling, salted water.

IMG_3956.jpeg

Just about to get a sear on. There might be some Woodford and water in that Yeti.

IMG_3957.jpeg

After the sear and on indirect to about 125.

IMG_3959.jpeg

About this time I started the baste for the lobster - some butter, garlic, lemon zest and juice, lime zest, and some salt (got a little too heavy-handed here).

IMG_3960.jpeg

Grilled and basted.

IMG_3961.jpeg

Not bad, maybe a little long on the sear but the finished product sure was tasty.

IMG_3962.jpeg

And the plate - ribeye, lobster tail, smashed and fried potatoes with sautéed onions and red peppers. A roll and a little caesar salad on the side. In all, a very tasty meal. Thanks for looking.

IMG_3963.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks, Bob. Hope you're doing well - and now I need to find some Baltic Gold sardines.
I'm doing well, thanks for your concern.
If you have a World Market in your area, you might find Baltic Gold there.
I think Amazon sells some, but on the expensive side. I paid $2.79 for an 8.8 oz jar.

Back