Anniversary Prime Ribeyes

Todd NC

TVWBB Pro
22 years ago today my wonderful and tolerant wife said "I do" and has kept me on the straight and narrow ever since. To celebrate, we smoked and grilled some prime ribeyes.

We bought these at a small, local, family grocery. I've never been there before but I'll be going back because they had a lot of great stuff you don't find in the chain stores. I did a 24-hour dry brine to start.

IMG_3334.jpgIMG_3336.jpg

I decided to try to smoke these on my 18" WSM followed up by a good sear on the kettle. Things didn't go quite as planned. I used a partial ring of KBB and a few hickory chunks. I should have used more wood, or at the very least I need to buy some fresh. I didn't get the smoke flavor I was looking for.

IMG_3337.jpg

After the dry brine I seasoned them with a Santa Maria steak seasoning and onto the kettle they went.

IMG_3339.jpg

This was after reaching about 100 degrees internal temp. I wasn't too sure at this point how this was going to turn out. They were not too appealing to the eye.

IMG_3340.jpg

I had a lot of charcoal left in the bowl of the WSM, so I set the midsection with the steaks aside and shoveled the remaining coals into the vortex (inverted from normal so I could fit two steaks at once) so I could get a searing hot fire.

IMG_3341.jpg

Let the grease fire begin. It kind of went downhill from here as far as fire management goes. I wasn't able to get the full sear I was looking for, but I was able to salvage it in the end.

IMG_3343.jpg

They came out pretty nicely in the end. I was going to grill some shrimp while I let the steaks rest, but there was still too much of a grease fire and related smoke to do that. They went into a sauce pan with some olive oil and butter. Gotta be able to adapt, right?

IMG_3344.jpg

This was the uncut version. There were three of these stacked up and the let out a lot of juices. Still plenty moist, though.

IMG_3345.jpg

And the final plate. Grilled prime ribeye, sautéed shrimp, Cacio E Pepe, and some french bread. A salad is there but out of view. Delicious. Thanks for looking.

IMG_3346.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats, and great job with the rib eyes! I love searing meat on the bottom section of the :wsm22: .

I was going to sear them there, but my plan was to have the shrimp indirect on the kettle while searing the steaks. I should have stuck with the original plan, but it was all good.

I hope this isn't cheesy nor philosophical--I've been working ungodly hours--and after a few mediocre hours this morning I quit and I've been enjoying a few cold ones but your plate looks perfect to my eyes and your narrative reminds me of my own 22 year marriage that lasted 20 years. Unexpected things happen along our journey but when you dig in and keep going it all works out. Happy Anniversary! So far 14 years on my last round and doing well to the best of my knowledge.

I hope this isn't cheesy nor philosophical--I've been working ungodly hours--and after a few mediocre hours this morning I quit and I've been enjoying a few cold ones but your plate looks perfect to my eyes and your narrative reminds me of my own 22 year marriage that lasted 20 years. Unexpected things happen along our journey but when you dig in and keep going it all works out. Happy Anniversary! So far 14 years on my last round and doing well to the best of my knowledge.

Congrats on the 14 years from a former Buckeye.

Happy anniversary, Todd (and Mrs. Todd!) You handled your grill adversity like a champ, as evidenced by that beautiful sliced pic!!! Hope your day was a special one!

R

Those steaks look absolutely gorgeous Todd. I rely on Costco for my rib eyes. Their prime meat is usually fantastic, but they never have bone in steaks like yours. That slice shot is magnificent. Outstanding cook and Happy Anniversary.

Back