An update on Char Baskets

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
On my 22 inch kettle I cooked five chicken pieces, four half onions and five corn on the cobs. The fuel was two char baskets filled with Kingsford. Cook time for the chicken was almost an hour at 325F (Weber lid thermometer) and both vents more than half closed. It appears that at least half of the charcoal remains. Awesome. I'm really liking this unit more and more. 8))

Nice - glad you're enjoying the kettle. I always re-use unspent charcoal. I love Weber's "One Touch" ash removal system. It's genius.

Until I used this unit, I agonized over the vent settings for several days. Shoot, this was easy peasy!!!!!! 8^o

Nice - glad you're enjoying the kettle. I always re-use unspent charcoal. I love Weber's "One Touch" ash removal system. It's genius.
Definitely but I hear that spent charcoal doesn't burn as hot and the smaller pieces my obstruct air flow.

When you re use the coals, put about 1/3 fresh on the bottom of the chimney and top off with the used goods, you shouldn’t have any issues with poor ignition, I never have. As for less heat, just because the pieces are smaller has no bearing on burn temperature that I’ve ever noticed. Why would they not burn as hot?

When you re use the coals, put about 1/3 fresh on the bottom of the chimney and top off with the used goods, you shouldn’t have any issues with poor ignition, I never have. As for less heat, just because the pieces are smaller has no bearing on burn temperature that I’ve ever noticed. Why would they not burn as hot?
Imagine if the sun were reduced to 1/2 its size. It would burn just as hot but there's less heat overall. The source has reduced in size but I'm not going to worry about it. 8))

Imagine if the sun were reduced to 1/2 its size. It would burn just as hot but there's less heat overall. The source has reduced in size but I'm not going to worry about it. 8))
I see your point but we are talking about using the same VOLUME of coals so the individual nuggets may be smaller but the additional fresh coal makes up that volume, I’ve been doing this method for forty years and I’ve not seen any kind of significant loss of heat.
Sheesh! It ain’t astrophysics, it’s cooking.

Yep, no sense in wasting it.

Although there was a time early in my charcoal days where I had no clue how it worked, and I would douse the coals with water when done cooking.....those didn’t get reused🤦‍♂️🤣

I agonized over the vent settings for several days.
Just let it rip, and adjust as needed.

I once worried about every half inch of vent, but now I just eyeball the vents on my kettle or WSM--looks about right--and let them go. Check every now and then and adjust if the heat is too far out of wack. Most meat is very tolerant of variations in temp.

The simpler I make my cooks, with fewer probes, wires, gauges, etc., the more enjoyable they are, which means I am more prone to do them.

Cook time for the chicken was almost an hour at 325F (Weber lid thermometer) and both vents more than half closed.
If my Weber lid thermometer on my Weber Performer Deluxe reads 325F I reduce the temperature by 50F. In the photo below it reads 400F but I calculate that it is around 350F at grate level where lies the meat/chicken.

Attachments

• OXlVabHfSzWlH8knttPFpg.jpg
    OXlVabHfSzWlH8knttPFpg.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 5lUVyINOTDykk%3zJnaA6g.jpg
    5lUVyINOTDykk%3zJnaA6g.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 6

Back