Amount of wood to use

Tex Slater

Was wondering what rule of thumb people use when using wood for the smoke. I know there is a point of using to much and also probably a point of not enough. I think I tend to use too much. Don't they say when the lid is on and the wood is burning the correct amount is to not see a lot of smoke coming out the vent?

Also, usually half way through the cook I stop using wood. I have also heard at about 145 internal temp you should stop using wood because the meat cannot really take in any more smoke.

Just wondering how others look at this.

Edit: By the way, the assumption is using charcoal for the heat and then adding wood chunks.

I usually throw in 3 to 4 fist size chuncks but it depends on the lendth of the cook, what you are cooking and the type of wood. I typically mix a hardwood chunck or two (oak, hickory) with some fruit (cherry, apple) or pecan

I normally use 2-3 chunks. I'll bury 1-2 chunks in the unlit charcoal. I always start my cooker minion method. When I pour in my lit coals I put a chunk on the lit coals and then assemble the cooker.

Everyone has their own methods. My rule of thumb is meat with not enough still tastes good. Meat with too much smoke does not taste good... Good luck

I only really worry about getting smoke on the meat for the first couple of hours, if I'm cooking chicken I'll use 1 small chunk, Ribs 2 half fist size chunks 1 buried and one I'll pour hot coals over, for Brisket and Butt's I'll through in 3 or 4 chunks depending on the size of wood chunks. I used to over smoke but over time I learned that I don't want smoke to be a dominant flavor, I want it to compliment the meat, Rub or Seasoning.

I cooked a Pizza on the Peformer last Friday and decided to throw a small chunk of Pecan on top of the coals, not going todo that again, just charcoal next time.

After a couple of hours I stop using smoke.

Cold wet meat will grab a lot more smoke than warm dry meat. Once the meat gets warm and the bark starts to form you won't get much more smoke flavor.

You goal should be thin, blue smoke. White smoke is acceptable, and common. Black or gray smoke is not acceptable. Not only will it be bitter but it can make you sick. The reason it's black or gray is because of all the unburned particles of wood and chemicals. That will settle on your food.

Black and gray = evil.

Last edited:
I usually start out with about 3 or 4 chunks and then every hour for the next two hours I will add about 2 or 3 chunks and no more after that. We like it with a light smoke not a heavy one as I like tasting the food and not the smoke. That is just how I/we prefer it here.

It's too much when you and the folks you are cooking for don't like the results.

That's the bottom line. Personally, I use very little. Probably about half of what people on here typically use. If you're not sure, start off on the light side and work your way up until you're satisfied with the results.

It's too much when you and the folks you are cooking for don't like the results.

I used to oversmoke all the time (only several times) when I was first learning. That's back when I used to use water in the pan and was just learning the WSM.

Lately I've been trying to get more smoke flavor, even jokingly trying to get too much, but I haven't been able to over smoke anything, (lightheartedly) try as I might.

I use chips, chunks, and chopped pieces of apple branches that make it over here.... the others are better at gauging than me.

If you're over smoking, try running a dry pan. I'm not even afraid of mesquite anymore, but I tend to use apple, pecan, hickory, and yes, mesquite.

You might find this episode interesting, I haven't seen it but I liked what I read in the book:

http://www.pbs.org/food/features/bbq-with-franklin-season-1-episode-5-fire-smoke/

For a long cook, like butts and brisket, I'll use about 4 chunks of wood. I'll usually start with 2 and after they're burned up I'll put the other 2 on. Ribs I'll use 2-3 chunks. Chicken I'll use 1-2 chunks.

When I first started using the WSM I was afraid of over smoking the food....now I am pretty sure that ain't gonna happen.
Compared to many here I use a lot of wood chunks.
Try different amounts of wood and learn to cook the way you and the people you are serving like it.
If that means heavy smoke and falling off the bone (that's the way we like it) then serve it up exactly that way.
If it means barely any smoke and a good tug off the bone, well, there is nothing wrong with that either.

I think it depends on the type of wood that you're using. Fruit woods are mild, woods like hickory, oak and especially mesquite are stronger. So, it might take 3-5 chunks of say apple to give the same level of "smokiness" as 1-2 chunks of hickory. YMMV

For short cooks, especially beef and pork, I like to throw a small piece of pecan, half a fist, on almost all my cooks. Let it get going and then cook. You will not get anything but compliments.

Also, usually half way through the cook I stop using wood. I have also heard at about 145 internal temp you should stop using wood because the meat cannot really take in any more smoke.

Just wondering how others look at this.

Edit: By the way, the assumption is using charcoal for the heat and then adding wood chunks.

This is possibly the most often quoted piece of BBQ misinformation passed on by the so called BBQ experts. Meat will take on smoke so long as it is exposed to the smoke. The smoke ring however will stop formulating at approximately 145 degrees.

Oh and I never worry about over smoking my meat, especially when I use my Stick Burner (Lang 60 Deluxe). If you are burning a clean fire there is nothing to worry about.

Back