Amazon.com ordering questions...

BrandonM

I know there are quite a few of you who have ordered WSM's from amazon.com. Do they arrive in good condition and should one be worried about the damage during shipping? The price is right and I want to order one, but am a little worried about the shipping issue. Barbecues Galore wants 249.99, way to much.

Thanx!

There are, from time to time, reports of WSMs that arrive in less than perfect condition, sometimes without external evidence of shipping damage. Weber has acknowledged that to further beef up packaging to offset is less preferable than to replace damaged parts. The issue most often faced is the so-called out-of-round problem-- when, where and why this occurs is not exactly certain. In many cases, it is minor enough that it can be remedied by the purchaser, with a tape measure and a little pressure in the right spot. Although a less-than-perfect OOBE is never welcome, the upsides are these:

Availability. WSMs are rarely seen in stock locally for sale.
Price. There are rarely better deals these days than when Amazon has them at $199 shipped free.
Weber Customer Service. Weber is known for unquestioningly sending replacement parts no charge when sample defects or damage occurs.
Support. Purchasing a WSM, or anything from Amazon through the links on this site help support it and keep it going.

My WSM arrived in 2 days and was nearly perfect. The middle section was slightly out of round....very easily fixed. $199 and free shipping.

I ordered two WSM's off of Amazon.com a little over a year ago and both arrived in perfect condition. No problems whatsoever.

I got mine through Amazon a couple of years ago (when they were still $179); it arrived with about a 1" chip in the porcelain on the rim of the bottom section. Weber sent me a new bottom section, no questions asked. From my experience, and all I've read, they'll make good on any damage (even minor stuff like mine).

I got mine next day delivery for $11 from amazon, the center was out of round, the Lid and bottom piece had small chips and scratches in the porcelain.

15 minutes on the phone with customer service (most of the time to "register" my product) and replacement parts were "on the way" except for the Center piece which was on back-order.

This was on Friday, the wife has confirmed that the lid and bottom were delivered today (Wednesday).

When asked if i would need to return the original pieces: "No just make yourself a weber planter with them". I think I will make myself a second smoker.

Having fought with Sears regarding fixing my "in warranty" water heater for the past 4 months (never will I buy so much as a sheet of paper from sears) Weber CS was an amazing breath of fresh air.

Thanx for the replies guys....

I think I will give this a go and see how it turns out....

Thanx again!

Brandon

I bought my WSM on Amazon about a month ago. The handle was nearly broken off?!? I called the 800 number and after ten minutes they had me and my WSM registered and were sending a new lid. It arrived the next week in perfect shape. I would still recommend Amazon for cheap & fast, only because Weber is so professional and supports their product so well.

I got my weber a couple of weeks ago, and I noticed the center section was a little wobbly, indicating it was out-of-round. But, I didn't think it was that bad, and I wanted to smoke something, so I decided to live with it hoping the buildup of smoke and grease would tighten it up somewhat.

This past weekend, during a windy smoke, my wife saw my (empty) smoker wobbling a little and decided that I needed to do something about it.

A quick call to Weber CS, and I've got a new center section coming. Even after I told her that I had smoked with the old one several times, she said that was no problem. They instructed me to put the old section in the box the new one comes in and call for pick-up, which is no problem. The woman on the phone (Sandy.....VERY helpful and polite....give her a raise weber!) told me that Weber QA wants to inspect 2007 parts to see what's going on. That actually makes me feel better than not sending it back at all.

Weber customer service is definitely first rate.

Amazon is no slouch either. I've bought a lot of stuff from them over the years, and on the rare occasion I do have a problem, Amazon has ALWAYS made things right, no questions asked.

Dupree, I know what you mean about Sears customer service. I had them repair an 11 month fridge under warranty. They don't diagnose. They replace the cheapest part that may be causing the problem. By the time they finally fixed the right part, it was three trips later and me calling their corporate customer care from the local store managers office (he didn't like that....
icon_smile.gif
)

Mine came in 2-3 days with no damage at all. I agree that you definately cannot beat $199 with free shipping. I am actually getting ready to get WSM number 2!

Ok,

I ordered one a few minutes ago from Amazon.com...we'll see how it goes when it arrives on Thursday....

==================================================

Brandon,
I ordered my WMS 2 weeks ago from Amazon for $199 and free shipping. It arrived 4 days later in perfect condition, and was ready for it's first weekend smoke! I also ordered the weber rib rack, which I recommend.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Alletag:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by c bain:

...Weber QA wants to inspect 2007 parts to see what's going on. That actually makes me feel better than not sending it back at all.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seriously, that's great. You point out something wrong with a product, and the manufacturer wants to find out how to correct it instead of blaming the customer or just saying "tough". Shouldn't be that rare, but glad to see Weber seems to be a really responsible company. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me - all three porclein<sp) sections were damaged and a leg was really BENT - probably NOT from shipping as the box looked ok.

Weber is sending out replacments - they should be here today (except the center)...GREAT SERVICE...and they want the parts back for QC....excellent!

<edit to add>
Just found out - the top and bottom were shipped to my house and have arrived...not bad - now we'll see about the middle section!
icon_smile.gif

<edit to add (7-12)>
Center section is NOT coming in until the 16th or later. Customer service said I may use the part I have - then ship it back - now that's service. I think I can bend the door opening a little - then seal the rest with foil....we'll see.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by c bain:
I got my weber a couple of weeks ago, and I noticed the center section was a little wobbly, indicating it was out-of-round. But, I didn't think it was that bad, and I wanted to smoke something, so I decided to live with it hoping the buildup of smoke and grease would tighten it up somewhat.

This past weekend, during a windy smoke, my wife saw my (empty) smoker wobbling a little and decided that I needed to do something about it.

A quick call to Weber CS, and I've got a new center section coming. Even after I told her that I had smoked with the old one several times, she said that was no problem. They instructed me to put the old section in the box the new one comes in and call for pick-up, which is no problem. The woman on the phone (Sandy.....VERY helpful and polite....give her a raise weber!) told me that Weber QA wants to inspect 2007 parts to see what's going on. That actually makes me feel better than not sending it back at all.

Weber customer service is definitely first rate.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

New mid-section arrived the other day. Not it first tightly on the bottom.

Yet another reason I'm happy I chose the WSM.

I just got mine yesterday, in seemingly perfect condition, except...

I have two charcoal bowls and no lid.
icon_redface.gif

Anyway, I called up Weber last night (surprised they were still open), and I'll have my lid in a few days.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Michaels:
I have two charcoal bowls and no lid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Wow, that's a new one!

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Michaels:
I have two charcoal bowls and no lid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Wow, that's a new one!

Regards,
wsm1qo7.jpg

Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I decided to "assemble" it anyway. Here's a picture with my charcoal bowl lid. (no, I won't try using it like this)

Well,

My WSM arrived from amazon in fine fashion. All pieces fit great and no damage whatsoever.

Can't wait to fire her up tomorrow!

Regards,

Brandon

Back