Amazon aftermarket flavorizer bars - genesis 1000

Jeffrey W

TVWBB Member
Starting to put together a list of hardware and parts I need to restore a Genesis 1000. I see a common complaint on Amazon is that the aftermarket bars don’t sit correctly in the firebox, that the bottom bars are bent in such a way that the top bars sit directly on top so they are not secure. Has anyone encountered this problem ? They also seem to all be 20 gauge. any other option without spending too much? I found a set by RiversEdge that claim to be 16 ga and get good reviews, but I’d rather not spend $65

Hi Jeffrey,

You can buy a cheap set and put them on top of the original bars if the original bars are still in one piece. Just double up the bars.

All the aftermarket market low cost stuff is just a smidge smaller than the Weber parts. My guess is they save an ounce or two per bar and that adds up over many bars.

You can go 5 big bars only. The 5 would still protect the burner tubes.

If this is a keeper I would not do 20 gauge, $65.00 really does not sound bad for 16. I suppose you could do what B suggested but my guess is gonna take more time to heat the grill up might not be an issue for you.

I can see 2 schools of thought on this one. Some folks see flavor bars as a consumable item and buy the cheap ones knowing they’l be replacing them every couple of years of so. You can extend the life on them significantly by removing them after every cook and running them through the dishwasher or giving them a hand washing. That’s not my cup of tea to be cleaning 13 flavor bars every time I cook, though. I bit the bullet and bought a set of Dave Santana’s (RCplanebuyer on ebay) bars for my personal 1000. Yes, Dave’s bars are not cheap but they are the best in the business and worth every penny.

Thanks for the input. First order I guess is getting some working burners and a propane tank and making sure the grill lights up. Then I will probably just get the RiversEdge bars. Hopefully I can save money by salvaging the burners already in there. I think I can get away with just replacing the crossbar.

I have yet to do the “bread test” on my Genesis 1000 but already know there are hot spots and cool spots on the entire surface of the cooking grates.

Has anyone ever modded the flavorizer bars by cutting or drilling openings in the cooler spots to try and even out the surface temperature?

I have my old set of stainless flavorizer bars and thinking about playing around with them to see if anything can be done,

but already know there are hot spots and cool spots on the entire surface of the cooking grates.
I'd first remove all of the flavorizer bars and light the grill as it sits. If you have very uneven heat, my guess is that you may need to clean up your burner tubes. The flames should be uniform across their length, if not you can remove the burner tubes and either replace them if they are rotted through, or wire brush to clean the holes and then try again without flavos on to see that you have even flames. You have to be meticulous, you want the holes in the burner tubes to really be perfect. A wire brush does wonders here, and you can even get more meticulous with a tiny screwdriver etc.

I wouldn't drill holes in the flavorizer bars, number one you now will have holes in them that will allow grease and grime to cake up the burner holes below, making your problem worse after a short while. Grease will fall through the holes and cake up the exact areas you are trying to open up. Second reason I'd advise against putting holes in the flavorizer bars is that where the holes are drilled, it's like giving rust a head start and you will go through many more sets of them than if you just use them intact.

If it were me, I'd focus on the burner tubes.

Good luck!

I'd first remove all of the flavorizer bars and light the grill as it sits. If you have very uneven heat, my guess is that you may need to clean up your burner tubes. The flames should be uniform across their length, if not you can remove the burner tubes and either replace them if they are rotted through, or wire brush to clean the holes and then try again without flavos on to see that you have even flames. You have to be meticulous, you want the holes in the burner tubes to really be perfect. A wire brush does wonders here, and you can even get more meticulous with a tiny screwdriver etc.

I wouldn't drill holes in the flavorizer bars, number one you now will have holes in them that will allow grease and grime to cake up the burner holes below, making your problem worse after a short while. Grease will fall through the holes and cake up the exact areas you are trying to open up. Second reason I'd advise against putting holes in the flavorizer bars is that where the holes are drilled, it's like giving rust a head start and you will go through many more sets of them than if you just use them intact.

If it were me, I'd focus on the burner tubes.

Good luck!
Ok that is all good information to think about.

I just installed new burner tubes and have yet to verify exactly the difference between hot and not so hot areas on the grill surface.

For the record,I recently bought a new set of flavorizer bars from Amazon:

GasSaf Flavorizer Bars Replacement for Weber 7538, Genesis 1000-5000, Genesis I-IV, Genesis Platinum I & II, Stainless Steel Flavor Bars(Set of 13-Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087WG4R48/?tag=tvwb-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok that is all good information to think about.

I just installed new burner tubes and have yet to verify exactly the difference between hot and not so hot areas on the grill surface.

For the record,I recently bought a new set of flavorizer bars from Amazon:

GasSaf Flavorizer Bars Replacement for Weber 7538, Genesis 1000-5000, Genesis I-IV, Genesis Platinum I & II, Stainless Steel Flavor Bars(Set of 13-Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087WG4R48/?tag=tvwb-20
Just curious if you had any trouble with the burner tubes fitting your 1000. I keep reading people have been getting a crossbar that is too short, not 13 1/2 inches. Also how did those flavorizer bars fit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious if you had any trouble with the burner tubes fitting your 1000. I keep reading people have been getting a crossbar that is too short, not 13 1/2 inches. Also how did those flavorizer bars fit?
I was one that got burners with a short crossover tube. The shorter crossover fits a silver B. I had to order crossover tubes separately for the 1000

I bought the burner tubes directly from Weber, no issues with fittment

B881A2A6-2D8B-471B-AED3-3B1EB66ECF66.jpeg

Ouch. I'm all about quality, but that's a big number for burners. Personally, I probably would've flipped the script and put the big bucks into the flavor bars. I've never had a problem with aftermarket burners at about 1/3 of the price.

Even if you bought aftermarket burner tubes and had to buy another crossover tube, you would still be way less money than OEM.

These are the ones I bought that had a short crossover. They were $29 last year. currently $32.41 ( plus tax) after a coupon

Crossover Tubes are $6.69 plus shipping and tax.

So about $45 current price, which is about half the cost of weber bars, and I got a "bonus" crossover that works on a silver B.

This is my own personal grill, that I bought 29 years ago and put basically no money or effort in keeping running for 28 of those years.

$90 vs. $45 is a very minor consideration in my opinion.

Since we’re on the subject, I am seriously considering buying another set from Weber, since they don’t “go bad” and might be discontinued 20 years from now when I (maybe) need a new set, lol

I was one that got burners with a short crossover tube. The shorter crossover fits a silver B. I had to order crossover tubes separately for the 1
These are the ones I bought that had a short crossover. They were $29 last year. currently $32.41 ( plus tax) after a coupon

Crossover Tubes are $6.69 plus shipping and tax.

So about $45 current price, which is about half the cost of weber bars, and I got a "bonus" crossover that works on a silver B.
That’s the crossover bar I bought yesterday. The only things that don‘t appear to be shot on the grill I picked up are the three main burner tubes. Hopefully everything fires up ok once I receive it And then I’ll start replacing everything else. One of the tubes is missing one of those plastic spider guards. Any suggestions about replacing?

That’s the crossover bar I bought yesterday. The only things that don‘t appear to be shot on the grill I picked up are the three main burner tubes. Hopefully everything fires up ok once I receive it And then I’ll start replacing everything else. One of the tubes is missing one of those plastic spider guards. Any suggestions about replacing?
I still have my three original plastic spider guards, but the Weber replacement don’t need them.

I’ll send them to you if you need them.

Back