Alternate to Weber "floor protection" mat

Jonathan Wexler

First time I set something hot on this mat, it burned right through. The fire resistance on this thing is NIL. I have a perfectly round hole the size of my chimney.
What alternative material can I use that will be readily available and can be adapted for purpose? Heat resistance (seems EXTREMELY obvious) is a must.

I would suggest the mat is not designed for placing a hot chimney on. It's heat resistant.....not fire resistant.
On Amazon reviews, I see some people have left dropped hot briqs on it and allowed it to burn through. I would have thought if you dropped a hot briq you would scoop it up and put it back in the grill...pronto! Apart from burning the mat, some unsuspecting human or animal could step on it.

Last edited:
Not much can take direct heat from a freshly fired off chimney, I’d use firebrick and make a station for the chimney like you do Tony. I use my concrete patio or out it on the wire rack below the kettle.

I am now VERY sure, it's not designed for a hot chimney (no coals inside). My question is why not? This isn't a glowing coal, though I would think a charcoal powered groll pad should handle that too. So what WILL work? Asbestos floor tiles no longer exist...plywood with ceramic tile? Other ideas? Basically I bought a $30 piece of outdoor carpeting.

With regards to your question: The mat is designed to stop grease-spots, food etc from messing up your grill deck. It's made from polypropylene, which has a melting point of +/-340*F. Whilst offering protection from radiated heat, it does not offer good protection from scorching hot briqs and chimneys.
"So what WILL work?" As Timothy suggested above, get yourself some firebricks, Start your chimney on them. Place it back on the bricks, to cool, once emptied. Sorted!
Even after you've dumped the chimney, it still flipping hot!!
screenshot_07.jpg

Last edited:
I like the fire bricks idea.
I start my chimney on an old grate over an old water pan and put it there after I empty it. You could also use an upside down cheap aluminum pan.

Get a few bricks, or a lawn shepherds crook plant hanger, an upside down rimmed cookie sheet, anything that’s non flammable. Pretty basic need, no need to do anything exotic. Think how your hand would feel if you set the chimney down on it? It’s going to be pretty darned hot!

I set my chimney on Concrete, but would not use a Cast Iron pan. I like mine, and that chimney heats up fast. Puts a lot of stress on the Iron doing a change that quick with fire that close without pre warming.

I've been in a similar thought process though. Need something to go under my new WSM for on my porch. Thinking of a few 12x12 Ceramic tiles. Should shield from radiant heat. Dont know how they would do under a Chimney though.... Maybe two stacked together would work for you?

Don't light a chimney starter on concrete, you can end up with this:

concrete-1.jpg

concrete-2.jpg

I light my chimney starter directly on the charcoal grate:

basic-baby-back-ribs-10.jpg

I use an undercar oil drip pan under my WSM to protect my concrete patio from grease. I can quickly place a hot chimney full of lit charcoal on this pan if I want to pour unlit charcoal into the chamber before spreading the lit charcoal on top.

undercar-oil-drip-pan-2.jpg

basic-baby-back-ribs-12.jpg

I set my chimney on Concrete, but would not use a Cast Iron pan. I like mine, and that chimney heats up fast. Puts a lot of stress on the Iron doing a change that quick with fire that close without pre warming.

I've been in a similar thought process though. Need something to go under my new WSM for on my porch. Thinking of a few 12x12 Ceramic tiles. Should shield from radiant heat. Dont know how they would do under a Chimney though.... Maybe two stacked together would work for you?
Brock, get some square patio pavers plenty thick for heat dispersion. Four shouldn’t run more than $10.00.
Menards, HD, Lowe’s any of the big box places will be blowing them out in the fall. To be clear the OP was looking for a place to set them AFTER ignition as in the now empty chimney. I light mine in the kettle. Much easier than looking for a designated lighting zone.

Putting it on concrete is not a wise decision when lighting it.
https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/protecting-patios-wooden-decks/
I've done it about 6 times and one day Bam, a piece of concrete shrapnel went right by my face.
Concrete is porous and retains moisture and that sudden thermal shock can be dangerous.

Don't light a chimney starter on concrete, you can end up with this:

View attachment 35121

View attachment 35122

I light my chimney starter directly on the charcoal grate:

View attachment 35123

I use an undercar oil drip pan under my WSM to protect my concrete patio from grease. I can quickly place a hot chimney full of lit charcoal on this pan if I want to pour unlit charcoal into the chamber before spreading the lit charcoal on top.

View attachment 35124

View attachment 35125

Yeah Chris, My concrete did that. I light it in the same spot though in an area where the concrete is over a foot thick, and it is now so old and sealed all it is doing is "whitening" the surface. If it were a finished area, i'd be more concerned about it. Then again, a few 2x4's, some plywood, and poured cement just to set in the grass as a dedicated lighting spot isnt that bad if that is all you plan on using it for.
(Must add, I would not use it for at least a year. Cement and Concrete cure continuously. Also, the wood mentioned is just a form, left on the ground it will rot away to nothing.)

Or just tell your neighbors that aliens tried to make crop circles on your concrete pad.:whistle:

Last edited:
Putting it on concrete is not a wise decision when lighting it.
https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/protecting-patios-wooden-decks/
I've done it about 6 times and one day Bam, a piece of concrete shrapnel went right by my face.
Concrete is porous and retains moisture and that sudden thermal shock can be dangerous.
Yes, I did forget to mention that before. Like I just told Chris, the area I use is very old, probably at least as old as I am and has been well cured at this point through much rain, humidity, and winter snow.

I'm actually planning a demolition for it at some point in the future when I get a chance to rebuild my porch. I'd much rather have wooden steps where this is at. I already know when I do, I will need to rent a jackhammer to get it out.

Firebrick is about $3.50 per brick but, that’s still pretty cheap. Make a frame and line that with firebrick, make it a little oversized and pour sand in the bottom and allow a little play between, probably last the rest of your life.

Brock, get some square patio pavers plenty thick for heat dispersion. Four shouldn’t run more than $10.00.
Menards, HD, Lowe’s any of the big box places will be blowing them out in the fall. To be clear the OP was looking for a place to set them AFTER ignition as in the now empty chimney. I light mine in the kettle. Much easier than looking for a designated lighting zone.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into that.

Back