Almost a WSM 22.5" owner, dang UPS

Al_G

I've been looking at getting a smoker for quite some time but with getting married in May and taking a cruise put it on the back burner. Did a bunch of research and came down to a BGE, Traeger, or a Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5". Since I've never smoked before I just couldn't justify the $1,000+ for a BGE or Traeger setup. So Wednesday I finally ordered the WSM and was looking forward to smoking some brined chicken breasts since it is quick and I'm busy this weekend.

At some point this morning UPS dropped the WSM, which I ordered using Amazon Prime, off and it looks like someone rammed the box with a forklift :(

My wife was on the couch when it was delivered but had knee surgery last week and isn't mobile yet. She said she heard the UPS guy cussing :D The WSM is a fairly big and moderately heavy box. Guess sometime next week he gets to pick one up from here and drop another off, already requested the return from Amazon.

K3PSxlq.jpg

b9P5dyq.jpg

r7BbUDj.jpg

That is a bummer, Al. :( But your patience will be handsomely rewarded when you fire up your replacement 22.5" WSM for the first time! :)

Good luck!

Man that does not look good. I am sure your replacement will be better. Maybe it will be the 2014 version with the silicone grommet.

In fact, if you can, look in the one you have to see if it has the grommet. If so, and the new one does as well, I would be interested in purchasing the extra grommet from you.

Last edited:
Man that does not look good. I am sure your replacement will be better. Maybe it will be the 2014 version with the silicone grommet.

In fact, if you can, look in the one you have to see if it has the grommet. If so, and the new one does as well, I would be interested in purchasing the extra grommet from you.
Second thing I checked after looking at the damage was for a grommet. Didn't have it, so with a bit of luck the replacement will.

Thats not good. But when you get it will be Christmas all over again.
Let us know how it goes.

On the plus side,hopefully you will not be as busy next weekend and can put the replacement to good use the entire weekend.

Got the replacement yesterday. I really do like Amazon Prime, UPS dropped off a new undamaged one and took the tortured smoker. Got it all put together last night with the exception of putting the door gasket I got for it. Right now I have a meatloaf in the fridge and once done with work I'll fire it up. Mostly using the recipe on the cooking topics with the exception 2 lbs ground beef and no ground veal.

You will love meatloaf from a smoker, did the new one have the grommet?

Got the replacement yesterday. I really do like Amazon Prime, UPS dropped off a new undamaged one and took the tortured smoker. Got it all put together last night with the exception of putting the door gasket I got for it. Right now I have a meatloaf in the fridge and once done with work I'll fire it up. Mostly using the recipe on the cooking topics with the exception 2 lbs ground beef and no ground veal.

You will love meatloaf from a smoker, did the new one have the grommet?
No grommet, but I'll order one and borrow my buddies step drill soon. Meatloaf turned out very tasty and I was impressed that I got the smoke ring pretty much identical to the pictures on here.

I did have a bit of temperature trouble, but I figure it was more because the meatloaf needs high heat. With all bottom vents closed, top vent open, and the DigiQ DX2 fully open the temp topped out around 290. Opened one of the bottom vents fully and got to around 390 very quickly. At that point I was able to totally close the bottom vent and the DigiQ had no problems keeping the temp up.

Back