All about salt

Matt H.

TVWBB Super Fan
So I notice some recipes use regular kosher salt, some finely ground kosher salt, some non iodized table salt, etc. Generally I have used regular kosher salt. Is this just purely preference? I know you should use more kosher salt than you would table salt. Is there a difference between finely ground kosher salt and non iodized table salt? Inquiring minds (ok mind) wants to know. My current inclination is to apply the salt seperately since I know how much I need to use for most meats. That way I don't under or over salt.

Hmm I think I'll stick to what I know and salt separately. Do people find the smoking process requires more salt than grilling?

Is there a difference between finely ground kosher salt and non iodized table salt?

Kosher salt and table salt are both just salt, NaCl, but with different crystal sizes. Grinding kosher salt until fine just changes the size. If you weighed out 1 ounce of each, despite the differences in size, you'd have the same amount of salt. It's when you use measuring spoons or measuring cups that you have to do the conversion described by Russell Y.

All About Salt

Regards,
Chris

Kosher salt and table salt are both just salt, NaCl, but with different crystal sizes. Grinding kosher salt until fine just changes the size. If you weighed out 1 ounce of each, despite the differences in size, you'd have the same amount of salt. It's when you use measuring spoons or measuring cups that you have to do the conversion described by Russell Y.

All About Salt

Regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris. That makes perfect sense. I should have known you had an answer on the site. I didn't see it!

Also, kosher salt is generally NOT iodized. It has a different flavour than iodized. Most if all recipes call for non-iodized salt. I've found that when I use non-iodized salt (like sea salt), it doesn't taste as salty. I think it's because there may be less impurities in it than regular table salt. IMO.

Back