Aldi seasoned tri tip $4.99/lb. Sept. 26-29

As I share this, remember I don't have the experience that you guys possess. But tonight I made one of the three that I bought. This calendar year marks my first experience with Tri-Tip; three of them came from Sam's and one came from the meat shop mentioned early, 60 miles away. This one from Aldi was my least favorite. In the package, it resembled a heavy marinade. When opened, it was a very wet, water-like consistency and I did not add any seasoning out of concern of making matters worse. When plated, a majority section was reasonably tender, another portion was somewhat tough, and part of it was extremely tough. Also; there was not much flavor.

It was not inedible--and I'll possibly make the remaining two simultaneously in hopes of pulling from the more tender sections and scrapping the others--but I would say I don't have intention of making another Tri-Tip run to Aldi unless something remarkable occurs from the remaining two.

As I share this, remember I don't have the experience that you guys possess. But tonight I made one of the three that I bought. This calendar year marks my first experience with Tri-Tip; three of them came from Sam's and one came from the meat shop mentioned early, 60 miles away. This one from Aldi was my least favorite. In the package, it resembled a heavy marinade. When opened, it was a very wet, water-like consistency and I did not add any seasoning out of concern of making matters worse. When plated, a majority section was reasonably tender, another portion was somewhat tough, and part of it was extremely tough. Also; there was not much flavor.

It was not inedible--and I'll possibly make the remaining two simultaneously in hopes of pulling from the more tender sections and scrapping the others--but I would say I don't have intention of making another Tri-Tip run to Aldi unless something remarkable occurs from the remaining two.
Sorry to hear that.
I've cooked a lot of tri tips, Select grade up to Prime, and never had a tough one.
Throwing this out there since it's an unfamiliar cut for you, just in case you aren't aware of the grain directions. Sliced fairly thin across the grain it should produce tender meat.

I havn't made it to Aldi. but my local supermarket often has tri tip . But i think it's 7.99 a LB. The last couple I got were kind of gristly in spots.
It's still pretty dang good though. If I can get by my Aldi i will see what they have. They most always have a deal on something

Have enjoyed Tri-Tip for decades, both as stand alone slices and in sandwiches. Have never really had a bad Tri-Tip! They have almost always been tender and very flavorful. Never had one with gristle ! Each and every one I've cooked have had that distinctive muscle fibre structure.

Have seen on social media, this site included, Tri-Tip that did not seem to have that structure. Looked as if the entire roast's muscle fibre ran the same direction. Some even show cuts in the Tri-Tip for what ever reason. When removing the Tri-Tip from the primal cut, the butcher can 'almost' rip the Tri-Tip out while following the seam.

The last 4 Tri-Tips we cooked were from Brandt Beef. Totally delicious, super tender !

Last edited:
Maybe it was user error, or just one bad experience where the other couple packages will be better. I did slice in two directions but I may have cut thicker slices than what I should have. I'll be curious about my experience with the other couple packages, and of Bob C's experience. At the store, there were some packages that did not remotely resemble the shape of a Tri-Tip.

Barb and I are tri tip junkies we pick them up in the dog food sections (mark down) of the various meat departments in the local super markets. Always have two or three in the freezer at $2.99lb how can you say no. Just did one in a rosemary marinade last week and it was excellent. Never had a tough one and always pull at 130 let rest 10-15 minuets and slice as Bob presented in his post. Winner every time.

I'm trying one today that I bought from Aldi last week. Wish me luck!

Took it to 190 over hickory. Wrapped in butcher paper at 160. Wrapped in foil at 190 and rested 30 mins. Came out fantastic! Just a little salty. Not too much. Next time I will wrap with foil at 160. Lots more au jus that way.

I made mine yesterday, came out good. Made sandwiches with it, needed no sauce. I put it on my kettle indirect and let it go to 135. Put it over fire to sear a few minutes and off to a 10 minutes rest sliced it up and it was great. Now I hope I can get these in the future, hopefully not marinated.

In September I reported having bought 3 of these and had an unfavorable experience with the first one. Last night, I made the second one and it tasted quite good and was tender. Hoping for similar luck with the third one sometime :)

Can you believe... no turkey meat leftover! 24 in attendance and a 17 lb and a 20 lb bird.

That is a lot of turkey, but a whole lot of guests as well. I am going to do some more Pork Tenderloins wrapped in Bacon, but probably not until tomorrow night. But, I actually still have some leftover turkey in the fridge. I might just go with some Turkey Soup with what's left.

Being from CA, home of the trip tip, I can see why you would question these.lol
I picked up one a few weeks ago. I did rinse, pat dry and rub with some fresh seasoning.
It was just "ok-good" but I would much prefer to start with a fresh cut.

Back