Alabama White BBQ Sauce

Alabama White Sauce for Chicken Sandwiches

Dredging up an old thread...here's another recipe for Alabama White Sauce attributed to Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q in the June/July 2011 special BBQ edition of Saveur Magazine.

Alabama White Sauce for Chicken Sandwiches

• 2 cups mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup prepared horseradish
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • 3 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne

Combine all ingredients. Divide sauce in half, using 1/2 to baste chicken during barbecuing and 1/2 for serving.

gbOf9O8.jpg

Smoke 4 pound butterflied chicken at 225-250*F with your favorite rub or this one:

• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 2-1/4 teaspoons paprika
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon celery seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander

Start chicken skin-side up on the cooking grate. Turn chicken skin-side down halfway through cooking and start basting with sauce every 20 minutes until chicken reaches 175*F in the thigh. Let rest 10 minutes, then shred with forks, discard bones and skin. Divide chicken among 8 hamburger buns, top with remaining white sauce and pickle chips, and serve.

y6WJpGZ.jpg

f7lhrgJ.jpg

Most of the local joints have a version of white sauce. My favorite is Greenbrier’s — a very small joint at a stop-sign crossroads in the farmer’s fields.

I would love to try this as recipe as written, but my Wife absolutely, positively hates Horsey.
I think it should be OK if I omit that, right?

Tim

I would love to try this as recipe as written, but my Wife absolutely, positively hates Horsey.
I think it should be OK if I omit that, right?

Tim
Ahhh, I wouldn't.

It is 25% of the "liquid flavour" but maybe find similar recipes and adlib .

Ahhh, I wouldn't.

It is 25% of the "liquid flavour" but maybe find similar recipes and adlib .

He could make a batch & pull out a serving for her, and then add a reduced amount of horseradish.

Prepared horseradish sauces range from light to very..... strong.

This way he could try both ways - & I bet both would be decent.

Found a great use for the leftover white sauce: PIZZA DIPPING SAUCE ! ! !

Had some 'za tonite and didn't get any of the store stuff. This white sauce makes great dipping sauce. The tartness of the ACV coupled with the horseradish is great.

Give it a try. I like it :D

Back