Al pastor, on sticks!

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
What else would you cook in California on Independence Day?

Wasn’t in the mood for burgers and dogs. Just did ribs, salmon poke, pollo asada and shrimp in lobster sauce.

A taco is about American as you can get these days with Mexican food being everywhere.

So, here’s to some Al Pastor but with a twist.

I cut the butt into 3”x3” chunks and then scored the chunks in crosshatch pattern all over.

The goal is to get deeper marinade penetration and to develop more craggily bits and bark as this cooks.

And what better way to have this self baste but to cook it on sticks over coals and oak?

So here’s to trying something new. Hopefully it all works out. Tacos for July 4th. There’s a first time for everything.

1688496243926.jpeg

1688496281089.jpeg

Marinate is 5 hours in the fridge. Dinner around 6p, I think.

No rotisserie????
Your ideas make me re think my pastor cooks and using the rotisserie with slices of pineapple and maybe onions sounds like it would also do a good job......

No rotisserie????
Your ideas make me re think my pastor cooks and using the rotisserie with slices of pineapple and maybe onions sounds like it would also do a good job......
Don’t have one for the S6. I agree that a roto would be excellent but it won’t give enough surface area char. This butt I’m doing is in smaller chunks for more flavor and texture.

Traditional Al Pastor is done on that rotating Shawarma machine and you’re cutting off the done, edge parts, in an ongoing cook.

The goal is to generate enough flavor and then chop and slice the chunks for get that OG flavor with less work. Engineered laziness.

View attachment 74050View attachment 74051I did some on the kettle rotisserie a while back, man did I make a huge mess!!
Tacos were amazing though.
Can’t wait to see yours!!
what was the messy part? the marinade getting all over the place as you skewered and then roto'd the meat?

i think i have 8-10 chunks so i should be able to do this on 2-3 swords, 1" diameter ones.

i don't have fresh pineapple. i might have to check the freezer for some frozen or the pantry for chunks.

We’re done. Deliciously good.

1688525351859.jpeg

1688525390648.jpeg

1688525437224.jpeg

1688525492386.jpeg

1688525514586.jpeg

1688525595167.jpeg

1688525622261.jpeg

Recipe here:

The beer is excellent! Total Wine carries this, I believe.

Last edited:
We’re done. Deliciously good.

View attachment 74074

View attachment 74075

View attachment 74076

View attachment 74077

View attachment 74078

View attachment 74079

View attachment 74080

Recipe here:

The beer is excellent! Total Wine carries this, I believe.
Looks amazing!

Man, those look good. This might have to go in the mix for when we have good grilling weather and ask "what haven't we had lately?" Just an idea to add- mango might be worth a try done this way too. I like pineapple just fine, but mango over charcoal undergoes a change of flavor depth that is more complex and goes fantastically with pork too.

Looks great.....mega filled tacos again.....lol, hard to get those in the feeding hole.
All the right stuff, makes me think about how I can do better next time.
Did you leave your kettle lid open for the whole cook?

Back