Al pastor, on sticks!

Muy bueno! I want four please. I’ve got one of those vertical things on my wish list but, now I’m not so sure I need it,
I don’t see me buying that vertical dodad. I was quite happy with these results using swords. It was a super easy cook. And not messy at all.

Looks great.....mega filled tacos again.....lol, hard to get those in the feeding hole.
All the right stuff, makes me think about how I can do better next time.
Did you leave your kettle lid open for the whole cook?
You gotta hold that taco, pinch the end and open that jaw! Sure, some falls out but that’s the joy. This ain’t a dainty meal for sure.

Lid is open the whole time. You’re flipping and flipping to ensure you don’t burn anything. Not too much or too little on the coals.

Too much and it’ll cook too fast on the outside and be raw on the inside. I had just less than two CBs worth and it was enough.

This way you have the hot direct zone and can rotate the swords into the cooler zone if needed. The area outside the CB circle is the cooler zone.

I think the cook time was maybe 20-25 minutes. Pull temps were anywhere from 140-150 as I temp probed with my Thermapen to ensure doneness.

Then de-sworded the meat and covered and rested it 5 minutes before slicing and then cross slicing into bite size pieces.

Last edited:
Some mods for the recipe are due.

Add 1/4 cup neutral oil
Add 1/2 cup lime juice
I used ACV, not DWV as I prefer the ACV flavor
Needs a little heat in the chili department for a little more oomph of flavor
I used 4 guajillo peppers and ran them through the electric spice grinder for deeper flavor
I used 4 Tbs frozen pineapple concentrate. I’ll do 6 next time for this 5# butt.

Overall this is a great recipe and technique. The tacos were delicious. I had 4 and was stuffed. This will be in the rotation for sure.

And do trim up your butt of excess fat. No one wants to bite into a large chunk of tough fat.

Back