Aging Individual Steaks and other Pleasures

You'll love it Brian I guarantee
I got a message from a friend so I want to make sure I stated it properly

I want to clarify if anyone does not understand, the steaks are wrapped in paper towels the whole time they are aging. Change the towels when they get wet from the meat, usually every day for the first three days and then every other day as there usually is very little on the paper.
Age 5-7 days. It is best when the steaks are thicker but work on standard cuts also, after seven days the meat tends to lose to much to your trimming as it dries the outside too much.

Last edited:
Cooks Illustrated recommends wrapping the steaks in cheese cloth and not doing in a home fridge for more than 4 days, a safety issue.........................d

Bill, having tasted dry-aged steaks myself, I can definitely imagine how beefy the flavor was on those steaks. Awesome post. Now, if you ever dry-age an entire prime rib, you better post photos!

I read what David was referring to with the Americas Test Kitchen and they do recommend 4 days. So if you have any concerns about bacteria being a problem then I would follow their recommendations. I do like Alton's use of paper towels as you change them daily. With the cheese cloth you are wrapping it up and leaving it in the bloody moisture for four days.
I have found the biggest difference for me on the steaks occurred on the 5th and 6th day. Either way use your own judgement as there seems to be differences of opinions and results from different entities.

wow Bill great steaks been wanting to do that my self and very easy to follow your post thanks will try soon

I have been wanting to try this. Question for you though- I am sold on the salting before it goes on the grill like you did, but is there a valid reason for not doing that at some point earlier during the aging process?

Bill, thanks for the photos on aging. Not sure why I never made the effort, but your photos have convinced me to give it a try. You said that these steaks were thinner than you normally dry-age. What thickness do you recommend?

Back