Aging Individual Steaks and other Pleasures

Well I think I am going to be setting some steaks in the fridge this weekend. Thanks for the tutorial.

For Clay and Erick, first I think the salt is just used to draw some of those protein laden juices to the surface, if you put it on before then you would be salt curing your meat and I don't think you would want to do that. Even with all that salt as soon as you start cooking it the majority runs off.
I try to find the thickest steaks I can find. Usually around an inch and a half or more.

I just wrapped a couple k.c. strips in paper towels to try this for next weekend.Just happened to pick up sierra nevada pale ale last night also,but I have a bottle of Chimay blue in the fridge I will try to keep from drinking and save for the steaks.

Bill,they look fantastic by the way.Thanks for the inspiration.

I notice a slightly stronger beef flavor and a better texture. It is not as strong as a whole side of beef aged for thirty days but it is there. I'm doing four of them right now.
He does have three last names so maybe I should take out those steaks and cook them now.
Just kidding, give it a try yourself, there are opinions on this across the spectrum. I go by what happens for me.

Back