After stainless flavorizer bar upgrade: Hazy grey-black discoloration on meat

This raises a question. Do burner tubes need to be replaced every now and then? If not, how does one go about cleaning them? I've removed a set but haven't taken the time to glance inside.
yes. my experience was with heavy grill use (100+ days a year) my burner tubes lasted 7-9 years, leaning more towards 7. you will know they need replacing when you look at the burners in the on-position and the flames are no longer even and equal. some of the flames will bunch up and burn higher due to the holes having degraded and becoming one or multiple larger holes. easiest way to learn your grill's heat zones it to place 6-9 pieces of white bread across hot grates and check for different colors of toasting of the bread in 15, 30, 45 and 60 second increments.

the hotter spots on your grill will toast the bread darker and quicker. if you have failed burner tubes, you will see burnt bread in that area as the heat output will be substantially higher than the cooler spots, which are cooler because those tube areas aren't getting enough gas to evenly cook on the grate(s).

Last edited:
I think the reason for that is when cleaning side to side, you don't have to worry so much about the scrapings to wind up going down the adjacent burner holes. I choose to ignore that recommendation normally. Especially when I have them out of the grill and am cleaning them. Any gunk that goes through the adjacent holes and into the burner can easily be removed. Besides, a bit of grit inside the burner tubes is not going to alter the gas flow at all.
If you don't pull them off and clean them for 8 or 9 years, then yes, it might become an issue.

A good cleaning is all that is necessary unless the actual metal has failed. Otherwise use them forever. I have had them last for me over 15 years+. The original Weber SS burners were about as good a thing as there was. Use a good stiff wire brush, clean them well poke out any holes that have really crusted over, get a long thing brush and clean them out internally than flush out with something like CRC Brake Cleaner. Allow to dry. And NO it will not poison you or I would have been dead a VERY long time ago. An air compressor is a valuable tool as well

replace them when they are cracked and the flame is uneven.

If sometimes spiders make a home near the valve so check there too.

Every few years, remove the burners and shake out any "stuff" inside them.
Thanks Dan. Super helpful.

As long as the integrity of the tubes are good, they are still usable. I don't know what the weber guide states about cleaning them, but I just hit them with a wire brush in the grill. If they are really bad, I would take them out and hit them with the angle grinder or drill with a wire brush in it. They do collect stuff inside them after a while, so removing them every few years is a good idea so you can clean out the insides. I just grab a hose and spray them out.
Thanks Bruce.

A good cleaning is all that is necessary unless the actual metal has failed. Otherwise use them forever. I have had them last for me over 15 years+. The original Weber SS burners were about as good a thing as there was. Use a good stiff wire brush, clean them well poke out any holes that have really crusted over, get a long thing brush and clean them out internally than flush out with something like CRC Brake Cleaner. Allow to dry. And NO it will not poison you or I would have been dead a VERY long time ago. An air compressor is a valuable tool as well
Thanks Larry. Air compressor. Cool; I've got one.

Yep even a small compressor is a truly handy tool. Since I am switching away from air tools to battery tools (haven't found a battery die grinder yet or replacement for my Snap On Air Hammer) I may sell my big compressor in the garage and switch out to a small portable one like the FINI I have in the basement for my mixer work.

Yep even a small compressor is a truly handy tool. Since I am switching away from air tools to battery tools (haven't found a battery die grinder yet or replacement for my Snap On Air Hammer) I may sell my big compressor in the garage and switch out to a small portable one like the FINI I have in the basement for my mixer work.
Mine is big and heavy, with a long hose reel. Not long enough to get from the garage to the back deck so if I'm using any of the air powered tools, of which I have many, the grill needs to come around to the front of the house.

Mine is big and heavy, with a long hose reel. Not long enough to get from the garage to the back deck so if I'm using any of the air powered tools, of which I have many, the grill needs to come around to the front of the house.
I bought this so I could use light duty air tools indoors or to fix fences with my air powered staple gun.

It's 1/4 inch, 100 ft. Some tools may not run well at this distance but so far its nice having a nice long extension.

You guys should check out storage tanks.
I used to pressurize mine in the garage and take it to a job.
You can run a 16 0r 18G trim gun and it has enough air to handle a few rooms or a staircase easily.
1645650730060.png

I have a Porter-Cable pancake compressor. For small home handyman jobs and blow outs, it does the job and not too heavy to lug around.

As with gas grills, these need a little maintenance too. Release the pressure and drain the water out of the tank when done.

I bought this so I could use light duty air tools indoors or to fix fences with my air powered staple gun.

It's 1/4 inch, 100 ft. Some tools may not run well at this distance but so far its nice having a nice long extension.

I've got 100 feet. It's not enough to get to the rear deck. I have managed to use it in the house. Through the garage door. Had to enlarge an opening in a stone countertop when installing a new faucet and nothing short of my compressed-air driven grinding tool would do. Not that I have an incredible stable of great tools. Even with my best grinding option, getting through stone took time and persistence.

I've got 100 feet. It's not enough to get to the rear deck. I have managed to use it in the house. Through the garage door. Had to enlarge an opening in a stone countertop when installing a new faucet and nothing short of my compressed-air driven grinding tool would do. Not that I have an incredible stable of great tools. Even with my best grinding option, getting through stone took time and persistence.
If you need your compressor to work on your grill you could just move the grill closer? I do all my work in the garage so it isn't a big deal, although I don't have any air powered tools I would use anyway.

I rarely drain my compressor(s). Last thing I want to do when I need air is have to wait for my 35 gal unit to come up to pressure. I do release the water in them from time to time but I leave pressure in them. Been using the big one like that for over 15 years.

I rarely drain my compressor(s). Last thing I want to do when I need air is have to wait for my 35 gal unit to come up to pressure.
I can see that, I get pretty impatient waiting for my small tank to fill. As long as no rust, you are good.

Back