Advice on rib racks

Pat DiFelice

Hello all,
I want to pickup some rib racks for my WSM. In Weber they have two types, all hold 4 racks. One is $12.99 basic plated steel and approx 3"'s tall the other $29.99 stainless steel with a flat arched piece of stainless on each end. I there a substantial difference between both? I the more expensive one the way to go. Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Pat

Hello Pat
I had found that the way to go is just rap the ribs in a circle, put a wooden skew though them to keep the ribs round, and stand them on there bones. You fit a good amount of ribs on both racks in the WSM 18". Also the best part is it is one less thing to CLEAN.

Pat -

I have to agree with Vinny. I too roll the ribs. I use about 3 toothpicks and roll the ribs bone side out and overlap 2 ribs (one from each end) and I can easily get 4 racks of St. Louis spares on the grill for the 18" WSM. I do have a rib rack that I bought from David Klose for $50 4 years ago. It is stainless and heavy duty and works well but I don't use it as much as I used to once I started rolling ribs.

-Don

I also have a rib rack that I don't use anymore. Once I got the WSM,I started rolling the ribs and haven't looked back. PLUS,like Vinny said,nothing to clean!

Rolling is certainly an option. As for the two racks you mentioned, I have the basic rack and it works well. Not hard to clean, I just sneak it into the dishwasher. If you plan on using it a lot the SS one would be worth the extra cost. I have found that 2 racks of ribs will fit on each of my racks and generally smoke my ribs flat.

Mike

yup, use the cash you'd spend on metal racks buying meaty racks
icon_biggrin.gif

I have to give another nod to rolling the ribs and skipping the cleaning. If I was to buy a rib rack today, I would look at the nooks and crannies where the wires come together and evaluate how difficult it will be to clean. Me and my wife are really anal and just throwing it in the dishwasher did not get it clean enough. It was probably clean enough to eat from but there were still remnants in the crevasses.

Ever since I started rolling ribs, I haven't looked back. Just throw the bamboo skewers away and you're done.

Hey Pat -
Rolling ribs works, and I use that method at home, but I do use racks at comps.
Before you spend a buch of $$s for a rack, pick one up at a Menards od Home Depot. I grabbed one at Menards for $5.00, it's porcelain covered. If you try it and don't like it, you're only out $5. If you do like it, then treat yourself to the stainless variety.
BTW, the Menards rack I bought olds six racks of ribs.
Just my $.02.

At home I normally just roll and stake.

At comps I use the broiler racks below in a cheapy aluminum pan. That way I can very closely control how much and what type of moisture is in the pan and ease of covering. It also makes it very easy to move the ribs in/out of the smoker and containing mopping mess. Afterwards I just put the racks in the dishwasher and pitch the pans.

Broiler Racks

Russ

Back