Advice for smoking bone-in-chuck short ribs

Brian Lee

TVWBB Fan
Can any experts please share their tips/experience with cooking short ribs on the WSM? I'm ordering them from Creekstone Farms and planning to cook on Sunday. I've cooked brisket several times now, but never cooked short ribs so just want to understand any nuances with them.

1. Rub: Is a 50/50 mix of kosher salt and coarse black pepper OK? And should the rub be applied in advance or just before putting on the grate?
2. Cook Temp: Is 250-275F the desired temp?
3. Should I use the lower grate or upper grate?
4. Wrap at 170-175F and then pull off at 200-205F?

Thanks in advance!

I use the 50/50 mix but you can adjust it to your taste. I cook them at 250 275 for about 6 hours I don't wrap mine just cook until probe tender. Are they short ribs or plate ribs?

Check out this post. There's a bunch of info on Chuck vs plate shirt ribs and a link to Aaron Franklins video on choosing. There is a PBS video out there with Arron Franklin show he cooks them.

Brian, I always use the upper grate and the lower grate only when necessary, simply for convenience. And I'm also a big believer in advance salting, so when I make beef ribs (or steaks or a roast or...) I try to give the salt at least 24 hours to work.

your plan is fine...no need to overthink....you got the temps right and the rub right....you can use a temp probe toward the end, when the ribs are around 200 you are golden! I prefer a little petrone no. 5 sauce on the side.

Just a quick update here on my cook from last Saturday. The ribs turned out fantastic even though I cooked them a bit too long (6 hours). They were reading around 220 in several spots with my Thermopen. I began spritzing with apple cider vinegar/water at the 4 hour mark and never wrapped.

Here's how they looked at the 4 hour mark:
AcNQfm7.jpg

And here's one rack after slicing:
dHDbBes.jpg

The ribs were super tender and the bark was awesome as it had a nice crunch (I rubbed on Crystal hot sauce and then kosher salt and coarse black pepper). I'll definitely cook these again as its an easier cook than brisket :)

Those are some great looking ribs. Beef ribs are my favorite. When you do them again try the hot and fast method. Fire up to 325°-350°. Cut them into individual ribs. Its like having a beef lollipop! Still get nice tender meat, but way more seasoning as you can caot all four sides. Tasty.

Back