Beef Short Ribs vs. Chuck Ribs Recommendation?

Howard V

TVWBB Member
Hello all,

My wife made special request for beef ribs for her birthday celebration this weekend. We ate once before at a BBQ joint on our vacation in Texas and loved them - they are not common in the area where we live. This will be my first time making beef ribs on my WSM so I want to make sure it's done right.

After searching everywhere, I found the one and only place that carry beef ribs -- it's a local Restaurant Depot. I am not a member there but have access with my Instacart account. They have two types of beef ribs listed......please let me know which one you recommend from your experience.

1) 3 Bone Superior Choice Angus Beef Short Ribs for $7.89/lb
2) USDA Standard or Higher Beef Chuck Short Ribs for $5.89/lb

I was thinking about buying one of each to get a taste of each for reference with future purchase. Is this worth the effort? Should I just stick to one type?

Secondly, I been reading about how to smoke them from various places and watching numerous videos.

a) Do I need to spitz? What liquid to use? Does it make a difference at all?
b) Do I need to wrap with foil? I seen some videos with no wrap at all and some video with foil wrap to tenderize meat.
c) If I wrap, do I need to put liquid inside? Can I use Coke soda?
d) General times smoking vs. wrapping?

Thank you!

Howard, I'm guessing that the Angus ribs are "Plate Beef Ribs", though that's not a guarantee with that description. The higher price/lb could just be the difference in Angus Choice vs. USDA Standard. Either way, you'll pretty much cook them the same......which is to say, much like a brisket. I like to go with low/slow on my beef ribs @ 225-235F, simple salt/pepper seasoning (though they'll take whatever you like.....a good Montreal-style steak seasoning works, too), wrap in foil (or pink paper if that's your thing), and cook to tender (start probing for tenderness at about 195F.) The Plate ribs will likely have more meat on them and a longer bone.

Oh, and when I wrap, I don't add liquid......others do, so you can kind of do what you feel is best here. I've never used Coke as a liquid with beef (or any other protein), so can't answer if that's a good thing or not.

Expect about 7 hours or more......you can always hold wrapped in a cooler with towels (after resting unwrapped for 15-20 minutes) for a few hours. I'd plan for a 10 hour cook so you don't keep the birthday girl waiting! :)

That would be my approach......I'm sure others will be by with their tweaks or methods. Good luck! I'm planning on plate ribs for Father's Day.

R

Beef ribs are easy, one of the easiest meats to smoke , Aaron Franklin shows how. And me, I would do the three bone ribs. I can't find those here.

Korean supermarkets normally sell beef ribs. Depending on the market, I’ve seen prime and even American Wagyu.

I will definitely be doing some low and slow within the next couple weeks! SPG and maybe a little bbq rub for color.

Howard, I'm guessing that the Angus ribs are "Plate Beef Ribs", though that's not a guarantee with that description. The higher price/lb could just be the difference in Angus Choice vs. USDA Standard. Either way, you'll pretty much cook them the same......which is to say, much like a brisket. I like to go with low/slow on my beef ribs @ 225-235F, simple salt/pepper seasoning (though they'll take whatever you like.....a good Montreal-style steak seasoning works, too), wrap in foil (or pink paper if that's your thing), and cook to tender (start probing for tenderness at about 195F.) The Plate ribs will likely have more meat on them and a longer bone.

Oh, and when I wrap, I don't add liquid......others do, so you can kind of do what you feel is best here. I've never used Coke as a liquid with beef (or any other protein), so can't answer if that's a good thing or not.

Expect about 7 hours or more......you can always hold wrapped in a cooler with towels (after resting unwrapped for 15-20 minutes) for a few hours. I'd plan for a 10 hour cook so you don't keep the birthday girl waiting! :)

That would be my approach......I'm sure others will be by with their tweaks or methods. Good luck! I'm planning on plate ribs for Father's Day.

R

Thanks, Rich. I was planning on using Montreal Steak seasoning on it. Good to know that I don't need to add any liquid to foil wrap like pork ribs.
Wow...I was expecting 10 hours cook....need to start early to have it ready for dinner!

Where do you get your plate ribs from?

Beef ribs are easy, one of the easiest meats to smoke , Aaron Franklin shows how. And me, I would do the three bone ribs. I can't find those here.

Great video...thank you! I wonder what he was spritzing on his beef ribs? It looks like water to me.

Korean supermarkets normally sell beef ribs. Depending on the market, I’ve seen prime and even American Wagyu.

I will definitely be doing some low and slow within the next couple weeks! SPG and maybe a little bbq rub for color.

Never though to look in Korean market. Do they leave beef short ribs as a whole slab or cut up in strips for Korean bbq style?

Never though to look in Korean market. Do they leave beef short ribs as a whole slab or cut up in strips for Korean bbq style?
If they have them cut in the case, then there's a sure bet they have them whole in the back, and can grab a cryovac pack for you!

I would use Beef Short Ribs, based on what I have read and watched. Also they are the same as what's in the Aaron Franklin video. He also goes into more detail about why short ribs in his book. I have a great butcher near me where I always get a beef short rib plate. They are on schedule for Saturday and I will be loosely following Aaron Franklins recipe from his book.

I would use Beef Short Ribs, based on what I have read and watched. Also they are the same as what's in the Aaron Franklin video. He also goes into more detail about why short ribs in his book. I have a great butcher near me where I always get a beef short rib plate. They are on schedule for Saturday and I will be loosely following Aaron Franklins recipe from his book.

That's awesome to hear! I will try out the short ribs.

I don't have Aaron Franklin's book.....do you remember why he prefer/recommend plate ribs over short ribs?

If they have them cut in the case, then there's a sure bet they have them whole in the back, and can grab a cryovac pack for you!

Great idea....will try that next time we are in korean market! I wonder how their prices compare with big store like Restaurant Depot? or what grade selection do they offer as well?

The " Cooking Topics " section of this site, Chris has two beef rib cooks , one with each cut of beef ribs. Chris describes each, down to the IMPS numbers .......

Great video...thank you! I wonder what he was spritzing on his beef ribs? It looks like water to me.

Franklin changes up his spritz, but I think most of the time its apple cider vinegar and water. I use apple juice also.

BTW, I highly recommend his book. Its not a recipe book. Its a book about barbecue.

Plate short ribs are way to go. Chuck short ribs would be fine too but plates are prob what you had in Texas. They are delicious.

They should have them both ways. I’ve purchased a pack with 4 ribs before. Perfect size for my family.

That's awesome to hear! I will try out the short ribs.

I don't have Aaron Franklin's book.....do you remember why he prefer/recommend plate ribs over short ribs?

According to the book "Chuck" are from the top of the rib which is near the hardworking shoulder and are best for braises and stews. Plate are from the bottom and are meatier, well marbled and dense with connective tissue. Well suited for low and slow cooking.

Franklin changes up his spritz, but I think most of the time its apple cider vinegar and water. I use apple juice also.

BTW, I highly recommend his book. Its not a recipe book. Its a book about barbecue.

I agree and highly recommend his book. It's a good read and a lot of good information. He gives his opinion on BBQ but allows you to form your own ideas as well. I had a hard time putting it down. Bedtime stories for my boys for a week were about smoking meat.

Episode 9 of his 2015 PBS show was called "Pickin' Beef", and if you start at the 18:00 mark you'll see him compare back ribs and plate ribs at the grocery store meat counter:

Although if you can afford the bandwidth, the whole episode's worth watching. Actually, the whole series is...;)

Episode 9 of his 2015 PBS show was called "Pickin' Beef", and if you start at the 18:00 mark you'll see him compare back ribs and plate ribs at the grocery store meat counter:

Although if you can afford the bandwidth, the whole episode's worth watching. Actually, the whole series is...;)

Just watched the whole video....very interesting to hear about BBQ history and different cuts of beef ribs

From the video, it looks like Aaron Franklin did not trim any fat off on the top of the rib as I have seen in some other videos. Some folks claimed the fat is not good for cooking and there's nasty silver skin below as well. I wonder why Franklin did not cut them off. Perhaps since he is cooking up at 300, he is confident that the fat will render away by end of the cook?

I also noticed Franklin does not believe in wrapping them up as well. I thought foiling will help tenderize it. Maybe foiling is just for a shorter cook time?

Back