Adding Ribs at the end of a pork butt cook

Brian_W

Hello all,

I'm planning on cooking a 6 - 8 lb butt next weekend for a birthday party, and thought it would be nice to have some baby backs as well. Would it be OK to add the ribs to the bottom rack of my WSM at the appropriate time so that the two finish at approx. the same time?

I'm thinking yes, but wanted to run it by the experts.

Ribs for the most part are pretty exact (4 to 4/1/2 hr backs and 5 or so for spares). Butts, not so much so they are both very doable, just that you may find the timing that you want to be somewhat imprecise.

You won't ruin anything, just be prepared for the timing issue I mentioned.

I think Len's comment is on the Mark. I think that butts are a bit more unpredictable than ribs are. I think with careful monitoring you may find your timing not working out as you're planning but that's barbecue.

The butt will keep in foil and a Cambro (faux or real) for several hours, so precision timing shouldn't be a worry. Butts will keep up to 4 hours and racks up to 90 minutes. Go for it.

I do ribs with butts. At 275 butts are +/- 8 hrs and STL spares are +/- 4 hours. I often foil butts when ribs go on.

I foil ribs for 1-2 hours at the 2-2.5 hr mark.

Keep and eye on temp discrepacy between upper and lower racks. My lower runs 25 deg. cooler then my upper rack.

Last edited:
I like to rest pork butts after cooking them, but I've pulled and served right off the smoker and it was still good. (It did seem to dry out faster though.) Keep in mind a rest time for your butts when you put your ribs on. I'd probably want the ribs going on about the last 2-3 hours of the pork butt cook.

Back