Adding grommet(s) to the WSM

Steve Tiilikainen

TVWBB Member
I just bought a pre-2014 18.5" WSM which of course doesn't have a probe port. I'm going to install a grommet according to the standard procedure. My question is... I get two of these grommets in a pack. Is it worthwhile to install a second grommet somewhere, and if so, where?

My WSM doesn't have grommets, not that I'd use them, I notched the rim in the top section the cover sits over and it's an easier way to run the probe wires without the hassle of threading the probes through a grommet, and the wires don't get pinched like they would if you just run them under the lid.... That's me, and a lot of other people, but as usual YMMV....:)

I don't know what year my WSM is, but it came with the grommet. If you are handy with tools, I say go for it. If you're more like me and don't work with power tools that much, maybe go with the notch. I always put the probes thru the horizontal slit... once you get the first probe thru the slit, and there is only the wire in there, it's easy to get the next probe in there. I have no idea why there's that little hole in the top that makes it look like cyclops.. I never use that eye hole. If you do decide to put in this grommet, I think one is A-OK, I would not bother putting in the 2nd one. I have no clue what I would use it for.

Again, if you're not handy with tools, I would go with the notch. I think I could do that one....

1668052909328.png

Rim notch all day long. (I'm surprised Weber hasn't incorporated it into the design, seeing how popular it is).
Having said that. If you cook on the lower grate then the grommet port is handy.

First time I fired up my wsm I tried to use the silicone port. While putting the probes in, the disc came out of the hole.

Try to replace that disc. In the dark. On a hot cooker. With smoke blowing out the hole onto your face.

Only good thing about that silicone disc is that it helped me turn my swearing skills up to a whole new level.

Notch is the only way to go. 1000%. Weber should ditch the port and install the notch as oem.

I think you got a lot of votes here that say don't bother and I agree with that.... It was well intentioned it's just a p i t a to stick a probe actually through.....

Back