Achieved my only New Year's resolution: Bone-in Beef Short Ribs

Those are some very impressive short ribs...I bet you didn't have to eat too many for a great meal!

Can't wait for the article!

excellent looking ribs. Don't do them often but the WSM makes them easy to cook and quite tasty. I usually cook these for fathers day meal.
Simply seasoned and not too much smoke seems to be the best for me.

You can get them at Publix, here, but you have to ask the butcher. It's the untrimmed short ribs. They usually cut them in half and then individual ribs. I've got them there before but it was the same price as their cut short ribs. YMMV

As Kaz mentioned, generally short ribs are cut up into small pieces, like little blocks, but these are the ribs before they are cut in any way. Check for an ethnic grocery store in your areas, many Hispanic and Asian markets will have them as they are a favored cut for the those folks, and will be much meatier than your standard beef rib found at Wally World and elsewhere.

Why, may i ask, was this a New Year's resolution?

I don't know, these are just something I've wanted to find and cook for a long time, but never have. Saw JimK's thread about resolutions in the Just Conversation forum, and decided I'd go for it!

Does anyone know where to find beef ribs like that (not gouged out)?

These are short ribs, not back ribs that are, as you say, usually gouged out. I bought them at Restaurant Depot, a restaurant supply store.

Regards,
Chris

Oh my. Great cook, Chris. My fiscal year* resolution is to find some short ribs like those.

*the fiscal year starts tomorrow.

They look awesome, I just found that there is a Restaurant Depot 10 minutes away from me, I am headed there now :)

Edit-->>> Well they don't open until Feb 27, so I will have to wait. My birthday is Mar 1st, maybe I'll cook some then

Last edited:

Back