A thing for redheads - ID and restoration

Those links aren't working, Steve. Do you know if they're still available?
Sorry about the bad link. Just email Dave and ask him if he still has some. I think you mentioned you already bought something from him. You may want to measure the ones you need because the top and bottom zbars are two different lengths.

Steve, again, that is drop-dead gorgeous.

EDIT: I will bring it up here, in case any members are interested...does your friend still have those wooden lid handles for sale?
Thank you Ed, you're too kind. Yes, my buddy does still have some handles and he is willing to custom make them out of any kind of wood. Ask Thyde how he likes the ones he bought from him a couple months ago.

Thank you Ed, you're too kind. Yes, my buddy does still have some handles and he is willing to custom make them out of any kind of wood. Ask Thyde how he likes the ones he bought from him a couple months ago.
Not necessary!!! Your friend is a craftsman, to be sure! I'm glad he was able to find a home for some of those handles...they are too pretty to not be put to good use.

I agree, he did a first class job on those and I'm happy give his contact info to anybody that asks.View attachment 44128
A feast for the eyes, Steve. It makes me happy, such attention to detail! That is one thing about black...besides being a traditional color, it changes color, according to the lighting. I am partial to the extra detail of the Platinum/Platinum Series II, too, and that makes this all the better. In this picture it looks gray or even an olive green. Beautiful!

Makes me want to go out and polish my poor burgundy Platinum...

A feast for the eyes, Steve. It makes me happy, such attention to detail! That is one thing about black...besides being a traditional color, it changes color, according to the lighting. I am partial to the extra detail of the Platinum/Platinum Series II, too, and that makes this all the better. In this picture it looks gray or even an olive green. Beautiful!

Makes me want to go out and polish my poor burgundy Platinum...
Ha, mine is sitting in the garage under a nice coat of dust from me working in there.

Ours is out on the mostly covered patio but dirty from being outdoors. I bought covers for all my grills but took them off when I saw what the cover did to my kettle...covers didn't keep them clean like I had hoped, anyway. So dirty/dusty it is, I guess.

EDIT: This isn't my kettle, but there was a FBMP ad with pictures of a kettle that had a severe case of cover rash that I'm posting here to show what can happen.

Cover Rash.jpgCover Rash2.jpg

Last edited:
There should also be an etching of the serial number on the far right side, almost under the frame. My redhead has maybe three places where the serial number is.

There should also be an etching of the serial number on the far right side, almost under the frame. My redhead has maybe three places where the serial number is.
That's very interesting. I've never come across or heard that. What year is your grill? Maybe it was only done on certain years?

So the grates on mine are toast - rusted through, holes, etc.

My previous rehab was on a broil king I picked up. Put all new stainless hardware on it, new burners/flavorizers/grates. I ended up going with GrillGrates and I have been very happy with them so far.

Once i put the GGs on the Broil King the lid wouldnt close fully - i had to get a hacksaw out and cut a notch on the GGs on the front side to clearance the lid. Once this was done the lid closed properly.

Im considering getting a set for my Genesis but I did have one question for anyone who uses GGs with a similar weber - do you have any clearance issues closing the lid? IIRC the GGs are taller than regular grates.

Thanks!

So the grates on mine are toast - rusted through, holes, etc.

My previous rehab was on a broil king I picked up. Put all new stainless hardware on it, new burners/flavorizers/grates. I ended up going with GrillGrates and I have been very happy with them so far.

Once i put the GGs on the Broil King the lid wouldnt close fully - i had to get a hacksaw out and cut a notch on the GGs on the front side to clearance the lid. Once this was done the lid closed properly.

Im considering getting a set for my Genesis but I did have one question for anyone who uses GGs with a similar weber - do you have any clearance issues closing the lid? IIRC the GGs are taller than regular grates.

Thanks!
No clearance problems whatsoever. I swap them back and forth between a '98 Genesis 1200 LX and '05 Silver C (different lid profile), no issues.

Last edited:
Ask Thyde how he likes the ones he bought from him a couple months ago.
Those handles are gorgeous! And since you can choose the wood, you can match them to your wooden side tables.

I'm painting a stairway now, but in the spring I hope to get to the project of restaining and polyurethaning my slats and new handle!

Not necessarily originally sold in Canada. Grills of that era had both English and French on the label, allowing for sale in the US and Canada English/French speaking areas.

Here are 1996 Genesis 1000 and 1996 Genesis 2000 labels, both from US grills.

View attachment 44118

View attachment 44119
Sold in Canada grills have bilingual lighting instructions stencilled on the face plate next to the valves.

Back