A Summit Gem

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Here's a pretty cool one, even if not cheap:

A Summit Gold that appears to be essentially unused after all these years. Still has the shrink wrap on the stainless doors!

cY0a8b3.jpg

0RmSZzk.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/870226630081286/

Although it is not the Platinum model with the stainless frame and cabinetry, it still is a really nice grill. One of Weber's better ones with all the features...If the $500 gives you pause, consider what other new grill you can buy for that today - and essentially this IS a NEW grill. If I was ready to plunk down half a grand for a grill, I would way rather have this than a 3 burner Spirit, that's for sure!

I have to agree with you on that one Jon. Extra side burner and rotisserie as well. Six burners. There is a lot to like right there. If you need the grilling space and you have a $500 budget, that is a winner for sure.

I paid $60 or $65 for this one.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/422431938435708/
It was covered in so much grease it literally could not rust. Firebox was basically rust free. On top of that it was sitting in dry storage for years. Cleaned it up, replaced the igniter, added new caster wheels and new grates, a new smoker box, new cover and sold it again.
It would have been to large for my personal use. My 3 burner Genesis does just fine for the 4 of us. Plus I really don't like the fire box design with the enameled front and rear pieces. I wish they would have used a full cast aluminum firebox.

How about this gem? Winder if the block under the center comes with it?
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/for/d/deerfield-weber-summit-6-burner-gas/7070265976.html

That's a great one Larry! That is another example of why I dislike the current 3rd generation Summit so much. The one I posted, being 2nd generation, is not perfect (as Stefan points out its biggest flaw is that firebox). However, it does have many positive attributes. I think we have seen on here that at least some of these have stainless steel inserts for the firebox rather than porcelain coasted steel.

1600794739536.png
can anybody identify this Summit - 1998 I believe? I think the Model # 260000 but also says EZ054308
Is this a rare find? I haven't seen the sides look like that? Custom perhaps?
1600794852366.png

If the serial # starts with EZ, then yes that is a 1998. And it is a Summit. They came with those side tables back then. Pretty nice one. I like the colored lid over the full stainless steel ones. Try registering the grill on Weber.com and it will give you all sorts of info on the grill.

Kyle,
I am afraid the main info Weber will give him is kind of "Good luck on that. We can't help you." Still, it IS a very cool grill. I am working on getting one and trying to find a cost effective way to make reinforcements for the firebox.

Picked up a similar old summit today but with the cabinet doors. These grills are built like tanks (and weigh a ton). Prior owner said only one burner works. Anyone have advice on trying to fixing the other burners or just replace all of them? Are parts easy or hard to find on these old summits? I also need to get two igniters for it.258F13AE-FD40-4A86-BD11-CFDBC3B6B489.jpeg

Picked up a similar old summit today but with the cabinet doors.
I own this grill, dated 2002. You can buy igniters and burners from Weber, I've purchased both in the past couple of years. You can always try cleaning the burner tubes first. Punch out the burner holes with an opened paper clip or a straight blade eyeglass screwdriver or hit it hard with a wire brush on an angle grinder.

This deep cleaning article is done featuring this grill model:

As with all these old Summits, you need to examine the lower half of the firebox (it's porcelain enamel steel, not cast aluminum) looking for extensive rust, especially on the front side where the burner tubes pass into the firebox.

Thanks Chris! Good article and pictures to help me understand the various parts on my new old solid grill.

I would like to register my Summit 450 with Weber and order burners and igniters but the label with the serial # is unreadable. Is the serial # in an additional location on the grill? What do you suggest? Anyone know these part #’s?

If you call Weber C/S and tell them the model, I am sure they can get the right burners and igniters for you. I know they want the grill to be registered before ordering parts, but it if isn't possible, then just tell them the situation and they will work with you.

Back