A sneak preview of the next Genesis refurb!

Paul: what grill model exactly are you rebuilding?
Bruce, its somewhat of a hybrid. in essence im using a genesis Gold cookbox in a silver B frame. I need to move the support bar which holds the igniter out 1 inch roughly to accommodate the wider cookbox. i have everything needed apart from the wider grease tray

I did not know they required a different sized drip pan. I guess I figured the cook box was made to use the regular size pans.

Well I don’t dive down the gasser falls like a lot of you guys so hard to follow the B’s and C’s and such, but dang that yellow looks mighty fine!

I’d bet that Weber changed the pattern and molds used in production of the genesis 1-1000 cookbox castings to allow the use of just 5 taller flavorizer bars and the removal of the other eight in order to make the early Genesis gold box.
It would be interesting to see them side by side.

Last edited:
I’d bet that Weber changed the pattern and molds used in production of the genesis 1-1000 cookbox castings to allow the use of just 5 taller flavorizer bars and the removal of the other eight in order to make the early Genesis gold box.
It would be interesting to see them side by side.
I would be willing to bet that those two cook boxes are interchangeable since they both use the same drip pan and control panel.

I have a not yet rehabbed Gold from that era. The large drip tray seems to be identical to the ones on the Genesis 1-5 and x000 grills. It wouldn’t have made sense to tool up a unique new tray when the existing one could be made to work.

Looks awesome! I wanted to try a custom hood color, but the cost of shipping alone made it a bit hard to swallow. I think I would have been near $400+ all in. Where did you have it done?

It seems there is only one outfit doing this process. Does anyone know of another outfit in the US or even overseas that does it?

I don't. I tried to talk to a couple porcelain coating places in Indianapolis, but I was brushed off. They would rather do bathtubs it seems. Jeff has carved out a great niche for himself by taking these on, delivering excellent workmanship, and using artistic creativity. I wish I was as close to him as some KC members here. Then again, maybe I am better off that I am farther away :rolleyes: !

Back