A Fun Pork Butt Cook

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
Our 30 yr. old Grandson's wife had surgery last week. Friends and family are providing meals to make life a tad easier. They both love my pulled pork so I took an 8.7 lb. Butt out of the freezer, gave it a quick thaw and prep and it's their dinner, plus some more. I made my wife's potato salad and her coleslaw. I had sworn off overnight cooks but I didn't want to give that one a ton of heat so I started it at 8:30 last night. Kat can't have sugar so I didn't inject and used a sugar free rub that I never used. I haven't cooked a butt without wrapping in 10 years. I cooked this one the way I cooked them when I got my first WSM and had fun. I awoke at 3 AM, checked the app, and went back to bed. I had set up the Inkbird so I could look at a graph and set alarms. The Inkbird ambient probe was about 1 in. from the thermocouple and read about 15° higher than the thermocouple. The Inkbird meat probe was close to the Weber probe and they read the same for the entire cook. When I got up at 7 AM, the Butt was in the stall at 175 and I had a low fuel warning so I added about 5 lbs. of pellets. Temp last night was in the low 40s - in Florida.
🤪
Because the meat had spent so much time stalled in the high 180s, I probed it when the IT was 191°F and it was like butter. I rested in in a cooler for 3 hours and pulled it. Pulling was more just squeezing the meat with gloved hands and it shredded itself. The rub was Sugarless Texas Sprinkle Barbecue Rub. I guess thanks for that go to Lynn Dollar, Chris Allingham, and Paul Kirk. We've cut back on salt and the bark was a little salty but the meat was moist and delicious. I sure didn't get enough sleep but I don't do enough cooks these days and it was a fun cook. One comment about my EX6. The ambient thermometer often reads 50° higher than set but the cooks always work out. On this cook, I set the temp to 200° F and it ran at about 250 for the first 10 hours and then the temp moved closer to set and I had time for a 3 hour rest in the cooler. It just cooks. 2-14-23 8.7 lb. Pork Butt 1.jpg2-14-23 8.7 lb. Pork Butt 2.jpg2-14-23 8.7 lb. Pork Butt 3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice color on that bad boy. Mighty nice of you to whip up that meal.
My SmokeFire also runs plus minus 50 degrees. It only bugs me when I let it. I just cooked on my last attempt no extra probes or thermometers, best cook in a long time.

Back