A First Look (for me) at GrillGrates...

Of course the GG will deliver far better than the old stamped steel ones. Though I have heard some folks say flipping those over does some remarkable results. I have never tried this. Though I do have a brand new set of the stamped stainless ones. I still want to try the perforated sheet metal under the grates though

Of course the GG will deliver far better than the old stamped steel ones. Though I have heard some folks say flipping those over does some remarkable results. I have never tried this. Though I do have a brand new set of the stamped stainless ones. I still want to try the perforated sheet metal under the grates though

Larry,

I am really looking forward to trying out your idea! Very soon tax season will be over;)!

Easter Sunday steaks on the Genesis Silver C using GrillGrates

I know it is not conventional, but time was short between Easter Sunday service and when I had to take my father in law all the way to Orlando to make a flight to a Chicago. So, we went with steak:eek:.

Decided to experiment again with GrillGrates:

x5ryn8.jpg

2qjm69j.jpg

I would have to somewhat agree with the comment that these are a lazy person’s choice because they are certainly much more forgiving than traditional grates. Whether that is a blessing or an embarrassing “crutch” I will leave to you all to decide. I do know that Aaron Franklin of the now famous Austin Texas Franklin BBQ doesn’t see any reason to not wrap his awesome brisket, a method that is sometimes derisively referred to as the “Texas Crutch”.

I thought the texas crutch was boiling ribs before cooking them....But anyway, who the heck cares as long as you GG's work, use em. I think the steaks look delicious.

Bruce, That may well be, also. I do know that Aaron Franklin refers to wrapping brisket in foil being put down with that expression in his book Franklin Barbecue A Meat Smoking Manifesto.

I like what he says in response, “Strangely, in the serious barbecue community it’s looked down upon almost as cheating, despite the fact that it helps many people make better brisket than they would otherwise. Even some pros use it on a regular basis, so I don’t exactly see the evil in it.”

Last edited:
Chef Nobu Matushisa at the Franklin Barbecue - GREAT Chase Commercial

Talking about Aaron Franklin reminded me of a really cool short 30 second commercial Chase ran a couple years ago that featured famous Japanese Chef Nobu Matsuhisa "stepping out of his element" and visiting the Franklin Barbecue in Austin Texas. The quick takes of his reaction to BBQ beef brisket and his interaction with Aaron Franklin are priceless:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7ODX/chase-sapphire-featuring-chef-nobu-matsuhisa

Enjoy!

Franklin also uses butcher paper to wrap his brisket a method he says is the best of both worlds (foil and unwrapped). But yes it is wrapping in foil he refers to as Texas Crutch. Brisket is one of those things I have never tackled because to get it right you really need to use a huge piece of meat. I don't have the time or do I have the number of eaters to do this. I have tried (with varying success) using a nice piece of chuck in a similar method to chuck. As for again the GrillGrates you can do the exact same thing with a $25 Lodge cast iron griddle (maybe even better) and just heat it up on the grill. I use mine sometimes like this (but on the flat side) when my grandson wants "Steak & Shake" style burgers. For those who don't know S&S they're a popular chain here in IL.
They use a nice blend of ground beef. They put it on a screaming hot flat grill and than use a spatula pressed down by a large weight as the ball of beef goes on to press it into the griddle and get a very crisp sear they then season the uncooked side with their blend of seasoned salt (which they sell) then flip over the the seasoned side and repeat the "sear" process. I have to admit I do love their restaurant. They have outstanding burgers and service, their fries are ON POINT, famous for shakes (which I cannot consume but the little guy sure can). So sometimes he asks for S&S burgers at home and since I kinda like the little guy I oblige him.
This is their web site https://www.steaknshake.com/
This is the Lodge griddle I am referring to http://shop.lodgemfg.com/griddles-and-grill-pans/pro-grid-iron-reversible-grill-griddle.asp though they show it at $80 on the site I paid nowhere near that when I found mine on sale at Farm & Fleet a number of years ago http://shop.lodgemfg.com/griddles-and-grill-pans/pro-grid-iron-reversible-grill-griddle.asp
Here is a photo of it in action and I think no one can argue the results look as good or far better than GG's
2ugfeoi.jpg

Larry,
If you are interested I can give you a recipe from Cooks Country. The cooking method is for a 4 or 5 pound flat cut and works like a charm making a more modest size portion very reliably. The only barbecue contests I have won have been with this method, which by the way is also quicker than conventional barbecue style. Works great on a Kettle, but I also have had good success with a gas grill using wood chips.

Jon

p.s. I also barbecue chuck roast to make “faux burnt ends”, although as much as chuck roast goes for here it isn’t really any cheaper, just more practical.

I think no one can argue the results look as good or far better than GG's

I have the Lodge. All we can do here is make a judgement based on pics. Sorry, but while I like the pics of the peppers I do not like the pic of the meat compared to the several pics from this thread of the GG. Nor do I like the looks of my own beef & pork attempts on my Lodge compared to what I have seen here of the GG.

p.s. I also barbecue chuck roast to make “faux burnt ends”, although as much as chuck roast goes for here it isn’t really any cheaper, just more practical.

Yeah the recipe would not be bad. Honestly I don't use the Chuck for the price but for the marbling and convenience of having a nice cut in a smaller size. I kinda do it like a pulled pork only it's beef

Well I guess ya gotta justify that expensive aluminum LOL IMO it looks every bit as good if not better and I can guarantee the eating of it was INCREDIBLE!

Back