A First Look (for me) at GrillGrates...

It's really hard to say. I know we all judge something like that NexGrill by a pretty stiff yardstick (the Genesis and Weber Company of old) but a couple thoughts here. Weight just for the sake of weight does not = quality. After all we don't buy cars, grills, TVs, etc. by the pound but how they perform. Also that yardstick (Weber) has gotten AWFULLY soft in the last few years as they shift to inferior materials and to Chinese outsourcing.
There's a very good chance that NexGrill came off the same assembly line as the Weber across the aisle from it in the store. Just food for thought.
Also I don't mean to sound like I climb on a soap box I'm just weird that way at times. I think it's an Italian thing.

I agree to an extent. It could be entirely possible that the Nexgrill and one of the Weber Gennesis II grills next to it actually were manufactured in the same factory in China. However, if I knew nothing about grills or brand names or even price, I would chose the Genesis II over the nexgrill 10 of 10 times. The weber is clearly better built. Maybe not quite as shiny and fancy, but way better built. I say that simply from opening and closing them and giving them a quick once over. If the two grills did come out of the same factory, the design and specifications of the Weber are still way ahead of those shiny tin cans.

I am the type of person that usually prefers simple and proven over shiny and gimmicky.

It's really hard to say. I know we all judge something like that NexGrill by a pretty stiff yardstick (the Genesis and Weber Company of old) but a couple thoughts here. Weight just for the sake of weight does not = quality. After all we don't buy cars, grills, TVs, etc. by the pound but how they perform. Also that yardstick (Weber) has gotten AWFULLY soft in the last few years as they shift to inferior materials and to Chinese outsourcing.
There's a very good chance that NexGrill came off the same assembly line as the Weber across the aisle from it in the store. Just food for thought.
Also I don't mean to sound like I climb on a soap box I'm just weird that way at times. I think it's an Italian thing.

Larry,
That is a fair comment. I do think the classic Genesis would run circles around one of these for durability and ability to maintain with replacement parts. On the other hand, which one you (or your wife:rolleyes:) would rather see on the deck is very much a matter of personal taste. Some really go for the shiny sleek new look; others long for craftsmanship and stained wood. I lean toward the latter, but can see the "beauty" of the new ones. This one particularly looks sharp in a futuristic way.

As for grilling, I bet this one does a great job. If you are willing to do your part to REGULARLY clean and maintain it, this probably is a very nice grill. Five burners and plenty of space is definitely nice. But, if it is going to get typical "care" (basically almost none) and be left in the elements somewhere not as kind as Rich's "rust isn't allowed" AZ, then it probably doesn't have much useful life beyond a single grilling season.

I haven't had the opportunity to actually use any of the new Genesis II or Spirit II grills, so whether they would fare better than this Nexgrill is up for grabs for me. I would say, just looking at them, that the new Webers, while not what they used to be, still seem more solid and substantial than the Charbroil/Nexgrill/Etc. brands. But, this is like the issue of grates: without serious objective comparisons it is really just a personal and emotion-based opinion.

Larry,
That is a fair comment. I do think the classic Genesis would run circles around one of these for durability and ability to maintain with replacement parts. On the other hand, which one you (or your wife:rolleyes:) would rather see on the deck is very much a matter of personal taste. Some really go for the shiny sleek new look; others long for craftsmanship and stained wood. I lean toward the latter, but can see the "beauty" of the new ones. This one particularly looks sharp in a futuristic way.

As for grilling, I bet this one does a great job. If you are willing to do your part to REGULARLY clean and maintain it, this probably is a very nice grill. Five burners and plenty of space is definitely nice. But, if it is going to get typical "care" (basically almost none) and be left in the elements somewhere not as kind as Rich's "rust isn't allowed" AZ, then it probably doesn't have much useful life beyond a single grilling season.

I haven't had the opportunity to actually use any of the new Genesis II or Spirit II grills, so whether they would fare better than this Nexgrill is up for grabs for me. I would say, just looking at them, that the new Webers, while not what they used to be, still seem more solid and substantial than the Charbroil/Nexgrill/Etc. brands. But, this is like the issue of grates: without serious objective comparisons it is really just a personal and emotion-based opinion.

I have the new Genesis II 3 burner and only cooked on it twice but it is nice, heats up really quick and feels solidly built. I did not, however, pay market price for it (got it for under $200) and I think I got a steal. Time will definitely tell though on the longevity of this new model as it is made in China. I've already requested RCplanebuyer to make the grates, bars, and deflectors for it but he told me that it's still too new and does not have any plans to make it anytime soon. I still like cooking on my baby blue though because of its simplicity, looks, ease of transfer (much lighter and easier to move around), and that proud feeling you get when you've fixed up something to make it functional again. I showed a buddy of mine my baby blue and now he has the "bug" or "fever."

I have the new Genesis II 3 burner and only cooked on it twice but it is nice, heats up really quick and feels solidly built. I did not, however, pay market price for it (got it for under $200) and I think I got a steal. Time will definitely tell though on the longevity of this new model as it is made in China. I've already requested RCplanebuyer to make the grates, bars, and deflectors for it but he told me that it's still too new and does not have any plans to make it anytime soon. I still like cooking on my baby blue though because of its simplicity, looks, ease of transfer (much lighter and easier to move around), and that proud feeling you get when you've fixed up something to make it functional again. I showed a buddy of mine my baby blue and now he has the "bug" or "fever."

That is really what I like most about the older grills. Sure, they are really solidly built, and the parts availability is great too, but also they are very simple. Not a whole lot of complicated things to wonder about. But best of all, yes Sam the feeling of accomplishment when you re-create one of these grills is without a doubt a huge part of their appeal.

My guess is the "better built" observation may be "just that" and may also be more of a reflection of the skill of the assembler rather than the product itself. Weber has wisely chosen to ship their products mostly assembled (particularly the frame) where a huge amount of the "feel" of quality will come from. If the cabinet (frame) is badly assembled by the kid in the back room what will be your assessment of quality? Especially compared to one that was fully assembled at a factory where the person who did it was trained to do it.
Don't get me wrong I have never laid eyes or hands on that model of NexGrill so I am just putting ideas out there on how a perception of a product can change.
As for $200 for the new Genesis YES an outstanding deal. One which you should most likely see a priest about :D as it must have "fallen off the truck".
As for what I want on my deck, my patio and in my garage (yes I have them all over) I want what works well and represents a good value. It's why over 25 years ago I bought my Genesis and about 7 years or so later bought my Summit (though I have to say the Summit has NOT represented a good value due to the way Weber dropped me like a hot potato) and why in all likelihood I will never spend my VERY hard earned money on a company that did that to me (a VERY VERY good customer). They lost me and especially lost me when they abandoned the United States.

Yah, I have sworn off brands because of situations such as that. But, unless I win the lottery, I don't see myself every buying a new Weber grill anyway. I am not into grilling so much that I need 5 or 6 burners or any of the newer innovations. But, if a new Genny 2 hit the local market for $200, I might have to jump. But, then, what can that grill do that my 25 year old Genesis 1000 can't? I would probably resell the Genny 2 for a couple hundred dollar profit. LOL.

Oh yeah same here. Hell the only reason I have a grill like the Wolf is because I was able to find someone who didn't care and just wanted it gone. $150 later and a little time and elbow grease and voila' I have me a $15000 grill. But I am like the cheapskate Irish priest. I keep praying to win the lottery and finally the Lord speaks out and says "Meet me half way Murphy! Buy a ticket!"
I just picked up a 2 burner Spirit 500 a couple weeks ago. I am doing a light refurb on it and gonna gift it to a friend of mine from my bible study group, I have that Genesis Silver B (I think) got for $20 and heck I am gonna do some beef tenderloin steaks on it in a little while. As long as I can get deals like these I don't think I'll ever buy a new one again Weber or not. But, if I DID buy new I just would not spend that money with Weber is all

Larry, I had a line on a Silver A curbside pickup in Madison a couple days ago. I contacted the guy to pull it from the curb and I would be on my way to pick it up. He emailed me back and said it was still there after dark and I was probably safe to drive down. I left and emailed him to pull the add and "please" pull it off the curb. Well, I got down there and it was gone.
I wasn't really mad about that, I knew the risk without confirmation, but what really ticked me off is the guy turned off every light in his house because he knew I would be knocking. He didn't answer but he was there. His car was still in the drive way. I thought about driving away and coming back in ten minutes as I figured he would think I left for good and turn his lights back on at which time I could ring the bell again....LOL. I didn't though.

Hold on to the “baby blue”!!! But, we will also enjoy hearing how the II you fell into makes out over time. I have already seen one giveaway price for a 4-burner II (sold in a day), but still not in my price league. I would just love to explain that purchase to my grill patience tried wife:(! Maybe someday I will fall into one, too! I do think the open cart ones look at least a little more basic and to the point like the older Webers.

Last edited:
Larry, I had a line on a Silver A curbside pickup in Madison a couple days ago. I contacted the guy to pull it from the curb and I would be on my way to pick it up. He emailed me back and said it was still there after dark and I was probably safe to drive down. I left and emailed him to pull the add and "please" pull it off the curb. Well, I got down there and it was gone.
I wasn't really mad about that, I knew the risk without confirmation, but what really ticked me off is the guy turned off every light in his house because he knew I would be knocking. He didn't answer but he was there. His car was still in the drive way. I thought about driving away and coming back in ten minutes as I figured he would think I left for good and turn his lights back on at which time I could ring the bell again....LOL. I didn't though.

Craigslist is a bizarre marketplace. I wouldn't mess with anyone on there, and if the price you paid was just missing out on a free grill, I can't really say I blame the guy. Put yourself in his shoes, he's giving it away for free, he doesn't know you and he just wants it gone. I've given lots of stuff away for free, and any time there is more than one email about a free item, I cut bait. Too much hassle for me to give something to someone. Just come get it!

Craigslist is a bizarre marketplace. I wouldn't mess with anyone on there, and if the price you paid was just missing out on a free grill, I can't really say I blame the guy. Put yourself in his shoes, he's giving it away for free, he doesn't know you and he just wants it gone. I've given lots of stuff away for free, and any time there is more than one email about a free item, I cut bait. Too much hassle for me to give something to someone. Just come get it!

That is definitely true, but I just had a totally opposite experience. There was a guy on the west coast of Florida, about three hours from me, who listed a 95 redhead :redgenesis1:which he said he had previously rehabbed but didn’t want to bother again. It was free for pickup. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I called him. I explained that I restored Weber grills as a hobby but that i also prepared income taxes and could not possibly come before April 17. As you noted, he really just wanted rid of the grill, but he liked what I was wanting to do and agreed to hold it for me until after tax season:D!

By the way, where I live, OfferUp is definitely surpassing Craigslist as a good place to find Weber grills.

Last edited:
Craigslist has been pretty good for me as I was able to find a Silver B with the blue hood and a redhead all for free and the donors held them for me to pick up.

Oh, I agree. I just thought it was cheesy that he turned his lights off. I get that he just wanted it gone. I just rung the door bell hoping he had pulled it into his garage or something for me.

Great to hear all these stories! In the northeast I guess there are more people and or less patience. Here, it is get it done, done done!

Yeah Bruce it's why I never even bother with the "free" ads I just don't want to bother trying to get there before the hungry hoardes. I would much rather pay a nominal price fair to both parties

Oh and re grates. Not sure why anyone would want anything more than this
9jehyr.jpg
for results.

Last edited:
Larry,

I agree your cast iron definitely delivers, especially in the hands of a skilled cook;)! It looks GREAT!

After trying out the old Weber stamped steel grates, I went back to experimenting more with GrillGrates on my Genesis Silver C. Here is today's results:

2m6vgk2.jpg

2mdfk48.jpg

I mentioned in my other post tonight that if you don't care for the black grill marks (which I believe you mentioned not liking) all you have to do is back off from the high-heat I used on these. I actually like it as long as the meat is still moist as these chops definitely were in spite of my medium well grilling preference.

Not endorsing these grates or ignoring the issues raised. Just sharing what I can until time allows for my full comparison...

If I owned those grates, I would use them. They seem to do a great job. If you really want the open grates, just keep a set to swap in on occasion.
And even on a RARE steak, you want those grill marks and the only way to do that is with high heat to start.

Looking back at your photos, are you sure you didn't paint on those grill marks with a wide tip sharpie???? J/K ;) They look "grate".

If I owned those grates, I would use them. They seem to do a great job. If you really want the open grates, just keep a set to swap in on occasion.
And even on a RARE steak, you want those grill marks and the only way to do that is with high heat to start.

Looking back at your photos, are you sure you didn't paint on those grill marks with a wide tip sharpie???? J/K ;) They look "grate".

It's the real deal;)! Larry is probably right that they are a lazy person's choice:rolleyes:. They don't seem to require as much attention.

Back