A few tiny paint bubbles

George Si

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi,
Just noticed yesterday some very small, looks like bubbles of black paint on one endocarp of my Silver B. I primed with high heat primer, and used Krylov High Heat max Black? What could be the reason. It's only on the right endocarp. Should I lightly sand the spots and re-spray. Thanks. George

George. a photo would help. But, did you strip the end caps down to bare metal or paint over some or all of the existing paint on the end cap?

I did not strip it down but I sanded it and washed it very well but paining it outside there always could be some dust or some residue from somewhere I think I’ll sand it down a little bit and just touch it up thanks

Hi,
Just noticed yesterday some very small, looks like bubbles of black paint on one endocarp of my Silver B. I primed with high heat primer, and used Krylov High Heat max Black? What could be the reason. It's only on the right endocarp. Should I lightly sand the spots and re-spray. Thanks. George

The one time I decided to use a High-Heat Primer on my End caps I also had bubbles under the paint. I have now done about a dozen using nothing but High Heat paint without any issues.

Jeff

Hi
That’s what I used, acetone to clean. Will sand it down tomorrow and maybe spray a few coats. George. It bothers me because I know it is there

Number with issues using these paints. You used a high heat primer how long did it cure, they have a re-coat time so just for example if they said within an hour which generally you could have sprayed a few coats of primer then hit it with the ultra within that time frame. If it said within an hour or then 7 days and for example you sprayed the ultra the next day I will guarantee that was the problem. A reaction goes on with the topcoat.

I think I pretty much stayed with in the timeframe but now that I think about it I might have topcoded a third coat or so too soon instead of waiting 48 hours or whatever

I think I pretty much stayed with in the timeframe but now that I think about it I might have topcoded a third coat or so too soon instead of waiting 48 hours or whatever

Some of that stuff says recoat within an hour or after 7 days believe it or not depends on what you used for the primer I guess. Its a bit deceiving on the recoat time for example if that primer said to recoat within an hour you could spray another coat 15 minutes later than use the ultra 15 min later then another the same. That is an hour but I have read that its really an hour from the last coat.

You could always take a piece of metal and do a test no question in my mind if you tried to cheat with the 3rd coat that is the issue, might be nothing wrong with the paint.

I hate spray painting.

One thing for sure is that you need to be patient with curing times as Brian has warned. For me, because of the high humidity where I live and lack of a dry garage, etc., that sometimes means bringing parts that are just dry into my house so they will properly cure in a dry air-conditioned/dehumidified environment.

I hate spray painting:p!

Thanks for all the comments. Since i decided to keep this grill for myself I am not that concerned about a few paint bubbles. I recoated the endcap this morning and turned out well(hate the taping and newspaper coverage)..This is nothing compared to the 41 oak cabinet doors and frames I TSP'd last year and 2X primed and put 3 coats of Ben Moore Advance cabinet paint(24 hour re-coat time)..BTW all hinges and hardware were removed....Spraying an endocarp is a piece of cake, that I don't mind re-doing//// Also, BTW I did sell my 2011 E330 that I was considering keeping until I rotisseries a chicken and wife said not as good as on Silver B....Anyway, that's there end of the story George

Back