A few preparation questions before my first cook.

Ooooohhhhh! Thanks for posting that pic. Now I understand what is happening. The WSM is not really designed to use big splits of wood like that. Like Bob said, you only need a few baseball, or fist-sized chunks.

I wouldn't worry about it at this point. I see plenty of smoke in the photo. I would guess that one side of the wood is probably charring, which is giving off some good thin blue smoke. Maybe you could push some more coals against it, but it seems OK to me. It does not have to be burning with flames like it would in a big offset smoker.

The turkey itself is looking great! Keep at it.

Thanks. Hopefully those are at least the apple chunks burning.

Regarding the hickory, make sure it's touching or on top of hot charcoal so it burns.

Yes, I think from this pic (previously posted) that the hickory is on top of the hot coals, so it must be burning.

http://imgur.com/a/dwjuo/layout/horizontal#0

I guess it's doing what it's supposed to.

Is that a split you are using for the wood? For turkey, you should only use a couple of fist size chunks of wood as to much smoke can ruin a turkey. In your original post you mentioned wood chunks and not splits. That big a piece of wood is way to much in my opinion. Good Luck.

Yeah, it's what I saw available at Lowes. I didn't know there was such a difference in wood sizes. Even though the "chunk" looked bigger than what I had seen in videos, when I was at the pickup counter, I didn't think think there was any other option, so I bought it. I didn't know that size was called a split, and it functioned that differently.

- - - Updated - - -

What smoker are you using Arun? In the pic it didn't look like a WSM. Also, if you remove the lid or open the door, the temp will increase not decrease.

Yes, it's the WSM, here are pics from a few weeks ago.

http://imgur.com/a/0NoTm/layout/grid

<< EDIT: In the time it took me to write this, these other guys awesomely answered most of your questions...sorry for the repetition! >>

It was helpful. Sometimes hearing people say the same thing reinforces the idea, or enhances the understanding. :) Thanks for your post and time.

If you have a power saw you can just cut them down to size otherwise find a friend that has power tools and he can help and you can make him some great Q. Good way to make a friend for life.

The good news about your big chunks is that you can cut them into smaller pieces. At least you won't have wasted the money.

What's a good way to break them into smaller pieces?

I don't think I have the right tool.

I have an indoor smoker, which uses wood chips. One time the wood chips I bought were a little bit too big, and I tried cutting them with shears. It wasn't easy.

So I ended up getting a brand with smaller wood chips.

I'm imaging trying to break these chunks (or "splits" as I guess they're called) would be even harder.

It might just be easier to get the right size chunks.

Can someone recommend a hickory brand that's available at Lowes, Home Depot, Orchard, Ace, or some other store? The apple sizes I bought were good.

If you have a power saw you can just cut them down to size otherwise find a friend that has power tools and he can help and you can make him some great Q. Good way to make a friend for life.

I don't, and no one I know really does either.

Most friends live in apartments or condos, and thus don't have the need for those kind of tools.

It might just be easier to get the right size chunks.

Can someone recommend a hickory brand that's available at Lowes, Home Depot, Orchard, Ace, or some other store? The apple sizes I bought were good.

What's funny is that I bought the same brand for the hickory and apple, Cowboy brand.

The Cowboy ones were just much bigger.

So why is this cooking faster than expected?

I could understand it taking 3 hours if cooking at 325, but from everything I had read, 225 - 250 would take 6 - 8 hours.

Yet it's on pace for 3 hours. For a 14.39 lb. turkey.

Turkey looks great! The white spot looks like some juices leaking out. Was there one of those plastic popups there?

Yes. I took a pic of it yesterday and meant to ask what it was.

I noticed it when I was draining the brine, and took it out.

I guess it's supposed to be there? And what does it do? It's safe to have in grill?

- - - Updated - - -

Meat temp has been fluctuating between 152 - 157 for more than 30 mins.

Should I increase the pit temp to something much higher?

Chalk one up to the learning curve of BBQ. It's a pain, but at least you will have a good baseline of what to expect if you smoke a similar-sized turkey again.

Try to get the temp down to about 200, if you can. Then watch and wait. Hopefully that will slow down the cook at least a half hour or so. Once the bird gets up to about 150, then I would open all the vents WIDE, and maybe eve the door for a few minutes. Get the temp up to 300+ to crisp up that skin.

I guess it's time to do this?

This was my graph, btw. I started it in reality at 10:39am.

The meat temp just fluctuated between 155 - 162 for almost an hour.

It didn't look like it was going to go higher.

nPRgKrZ.png

I noticed it when I was draining the brine, and took it out. I guess it's supposed to be there? And what does it do? It's safe to have in grill?

I always take those out. They pop up when the meat temp gets up to 180 or 185--way overdone. You could leave them in to grill. At the temps used to cook in the WSM, you won't have any problems with it.

Thanks for all of the answers.

I was following that recipe for brine, but wanted to do a low and slow smoke, with water in the pan, for the actual cook.

I'll tell you what I tell my wife: The first time you follow a recipe, follow it exactly. Don't swap out any ingredients, don't adjust the cook temp or time, just do what the recipe tells you to do. (at this point, I duck while she throws something - often a cooking vessel - at my head)

But seriously, with very few exceptions, most recipes are complete processes meant to allow someone to replicate a specific result. Ingredients, cooking temp and time are all dependent variables; changing one of them is going to have some impact on the others. You accounted for this somewhat by anticipating a longer cook time since you were cooking at a lower temperature, but such conversions are not necessarily linear or direct. Due to a variety of factors (type of meat, structure, size, etc.), how foods react to temp & time can vary greatly.

Also, accurate reading of the temp requires correct placement of your thermometer probe. Based on your later post where the temps were fluctuating, I suspect the tip of the probe may have been close to bone or cartilage, which can give you inaccurate readings. In other types of meat (pork butt is a good example), you often see temp drops like that as the fat starts to break down and convert to gelatin. That doesn't really happen in turkey (not nearly as much internal fat), but there are other possible causes.

In any event, if you don't have one, get a decent instant-read thermometer (see http://virtualweberbullet.com/shopping.html#thermometers for recommendations) to double-check the probe's reading as well as check other parts of the meat (this is crucial with things like whole turkeys or chickens where different parts have different "done" temperatures).

You didn't post final results, but hopefully it all turned out OK. The few pics you posted sure looked promising. If this was your first attempt at smoking, turkey was an ambitious choice as it can be a bit of a challenge. I ruined 2 or 3 birds before I got Thanksgiving-worthy results. I'd suggest trying a pork butt or beef ribs. Pork butt is extremely forgiving and usually cheap, so it's a great thing to cook to help you learn how to control your cooker. Beef ribs are a bit pricier, but similarly beginner-friendly.

I'll tell you what I tell my wife: The first time you follow a recipe, follow it exactly. Don't swap out any ingredients, don't adjust the cook temp or time, just do what the recipe tells you to do. (at this point, I duck while she throws something - often a cooking vessel - at my head)

But seriously, with very few exceptions, most recipes are complete processes meant to allow someone to replicate a specific result. Ingredients, cooking temp and time are all dependent variables; changing one of them is going to have some impact on the others. You accounted for this somewhat by anticipating a longer cook time since you were cooking at a lower temperature, but such conversions are not necessarily linear or direct. Due to a variety of factors (type of meat, structure, size, etc.), how foods react to temp & time can vary greatly.

Also, accurate reading of the temp requires correct placement of your thermometer probe. Based on your later post where the temps were fluctuating, I suspect the tip of the probe may have been close to bone or cartilage, which can give you inaccurate readings. In other types of meat (pork butt is a good example), you often see temp drops like that as the fat starts to break down and convert to gelatin. That doesn't really happen in turkey (not nearly as much internal fat), but there are other possible causes.

During the last hour, I moved the meat probe around a lot. No matter where I placed it (most of the time in the breast area), it still showed that same fluctuation between 156 - 162 degrees.

In any event, if you don't have one, get a decent instant-read thermometer (see http://virtualweberbullet.com/shopping.html#thermometers for recommendations) to double-check the probe's reading as well as check other parts of the meat (this is crucial with things like whole turkeys or chickens where different parts have different "done" temperatures).

I do have an instant read thermometer. Using it would have been a good idea, to double-check. Thanks for the suggestion.

You didn't post final results, but hopefully it all turned out OK. The few pics you posted sure looked promising. If this was your first attempt at smoking, turkey was an ambitious choice as it can be a bit of a challenge. I ruined 2 or 3 birds before I got Thanksgiving-worthy results. I'd suggest trying a pork butt or beef ribs. Pork butt is extremely forgiving and usually cheap, so it's a great thing to cook to help you learn how to control your cooker. Beef ribs are a bit pricier, but similarly beginner-friendly.

I just don't like eating pork or beef as much, I eat them only a few times a year (and still pork more than beef). I enjoy poultry more. I have to be in the right mood for pork, or seafood.

Hence I wanted to do something I have more excitement towards.

You didn't post final results, but hopefully it all turned out OK. The few pics you posted sure looked promising. If this was your first attempt at smoking, turkey was an ambitious choice as it can be a bit of a challenge.

Sorry for the delay. Wanted to finish eating all leftovers before posting thoughts, then was busy with other things.

Pics:

http://imgur.com/a/kkr4C/layout/horizontal#0

* I posted the last 3 pics, 2 of them at night, to show what the WSM looks like AFTER I've cleaned it. Does it look ok, or do I need to do a better job cleaning the inside of the middle cooking section? If I need to do a better job, any suggestions on how else to get rid of the char marks inside?

* I took a pic of the burnt charcoal and wood at the end, to show what it looked like. It looks like the big hickory split did burn.

But I agree that I need to find smaller hickory pieces, and will use those next time.

Does blue smoke actually look blue?

It's hard to tell without actually being there, but the smoke in your photo does look OK.

Regarding the vents, don't shut them all the way. You still need some airflow to keep it burning. Even if the temp is a little higher than what you would like to see, you don't want to choke the fire. That will extinguish it, and will give you some not so great smoke.

The good news about your big chunks is that you can cut them into smaller pieces. At least you won't have wasted the money.

* The 6th pic (the one which shows the whole WSM with smoke coming out) is what the smoke looked like. Is that the right color? Doesn't look blue to me.

Maybe I can open the bottom vents more toward the latter stage after it's reached 225.

* I bought too much beer. I had aimed for an average of at least 3 beers per drinking person. But people switched to sodas midway through, and less than 2 beers per drinking person were consumed. Partly because they had to drive or bike back.

Lesson learned not to buy so much. Also, because someone had brought an additional 6 pack, I had 22 beers leftover after the night. Too much leftover beer for one person, especially considering that some will get bad after a few weeks.

* The texture and moistness of the turkey were great. I liked how the skin turned out, it was crispy and good to me. Similar to how an oven roasted chicken comes out. And I'm glad I used the seasoning too, because I liked the flavor it gave to some parts.

* When the smoke flavor was there, it was good. It wasn't consistent throughout though, only on a few portions. I want to find a way to get that smoke flavor more consistent throughout.

Probably using the right size hickory would have helped. Any other suggestions?

Based on how the texture and moistness came out, I don't think I'd change the cooking time too much, unless it took longer to get 160+ on that specific cook. It seemed to be the right amount.

I'm happy that the texture, moistness, seasoning, and skin came out great. I still want to find tweaks to get more smoke flavor.

I'd do the same brine that I did, because of how satisfied I was with the moistness.

* Even though I'd watched videos, I didn't realize how physical it was to carve a turkey. A chicken seemed easier. For the turkey, I had to really pull apart some portions.

Last edited:

Back