A few first

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
Had a few first in the Q today.
So I have only ever done Baby Back Ribs,
Today I did St. Louis Ribs for the first time. Next up will be full Spare Ribs.

I knew I was going to be busy so I just trusted the WSM and didn't lift the lid for the first two hours, wrapped them and back on the WSM for another two hours, sauced, back on for an hour, rested for 15 minutes and then done. This was the first time I was able to trust the process and not peek even once. Only opened the lid when I had to work on the ribs.

Also first time to ever do baked potatoes on the grill, they were perfect, first time to try doing some sprouts on the grill, not a success, and the first time to use both my Webers at the same time. Last, this was the first time two racks of ribs were completely eaten by the family.

Here they are, half of them wrapped and half still needing butter/brown sugar/honey wrap at 2 hours.
20200607_133133_HDR.jpg
And here are 3 of the 4 half racks resting.
20200607_165946.jpg

Aw, yeah, you are in the zone now, Michael! It is so nice to get the process down enough that you don't fuss over the smoker like a newborn! :) The ribs look perfect (and, since they got devoured, seems the family agrees), and the taters sound good. What happened with the sprouts?

R

Aw, yeah, you are in the zone now, Michael! It is so nice to get the process down enough that you don't fuss over the smoker like a newborn! :) The ribs look perfect (and, since they got devoured, seems the family agrees), and the taters sound good. What happened with the sprouts?

R
Here is a pic of the potatoes and sprouts on the kettle. 20200607_162201_HDR.jpg
I blended some onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and oil together. Then mixed that with the sprouts. I made a foil pack and throw them on the kettle. My mistake was the foil pack. The foil pack over steamed the sprouts. I had half charged (which I love) mush sprouts (that I don't love). I have to use a method that leaves the sprouts open next time to let the steam out so I get that nice char with still a firm sprout.

My mistake was the foil pack.
Yep, I've made that mistake, too.....and I can't stand mushy veggies! Cast iron pan is the way to go. I mix my sprouts (after halving them) with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika, then into preheated cast iron on the grill with a little extra oil if needed. You can move them around direct/indirect as needed. Nice char, but still good texture.

R

Back