A Few Cooks

Greg Part

TVWBB Fan
When COVID began 3+ years ago and impacted my work schedule with working all sorts of days and shifts, I made a commitment to learn how to become a (much) better griller. Armed with a lot inspiration garnered from this forum and lots of love for my 2008 Weber Genesis, I began to immerse myself in the study of, and trial (and error) of, grilling.

Filet Mignon, thick, center-cut boneless pork chops (rubbed with Dijon mustard and Famous Dave’s Pork Seasoning), chicken breasts (dry brined with Crystal Diamond Kosher Salt for 1 hr. and seasoned with FD’s Country Chicken Seasoning), whole, wet-brined chicken, brats and Texas Toast. Every steak I cook literally comes out perfectly, now. A big challenge presented itself to be what type and how much seasoning to use. I was able to figure it out, however, through trial and error (and no steak was wasted).

I also tried a COTC recipe from GrillGrate.com slathered in mayonnaise and seasoned with Famous Dave’s Pork Seasoning (which turned out with amazing flavor and juicy beyond belief) and is now a go-to recipe in the vegetable rotation. BTW, the German tomato salad is also outstanding!

I’ve become a BIG believer in using an ambient probe for temp. at the grate, inserting a probe into what I’m cooking, Famous Dave’s Burger and Steak Seasoning (I think all of FD’s seasonings are excellent), Ghee (clarified butter - high smoke point) and avocado oil (high smoke point).

Whenever I grill steaks, I season them anywhere from 4 to 48 hrs. in advance and refrigerate them, uncovered, on a roasting rack. Before I cook, I let them rest at room temp. for 1 to 1.5 hrs., dip them in warm, melted clarified butter and cook on direct high heat at 475°F to no more than 500°F. When I take them off the grill, I place them on a roasting rack or trivet and cover for 7-10 mins.

As I’ve been condemned to eating a less fatty cut of beef (due to a significant health scare earlier this year), Filet Mignon and Sirloin are my preferred cuts cooked to medium doneness. Everyone else has a choice between the aforementioned, Ribeye or New York Strip (they prefer rare to medium rare). Since I began a more focused and serious approach to grilling, I buy my meat at Sam’s Club (generally prime, as it’s only around $8 more than choice, for 4 to 5 filets). There’s definitely a difference in texture between a prime and choice filet. The prime is noticeably smoother and feels softer and more “buttery” than a choice filet - and the taste is to die for!

Below are some pics of several cooks over the past year and while they’re not anything really challenging for an experienced griller, they are a MAJOR advancement for me. Now, instead of grilling cluelessly half-assed, I have gained some actual knowledge and experience that pays off with outstanding to stellar(!) results, every time!

My apologies for the long-winded post but I’ve learned a lot through this forum (including how to clean the valves on my Genesis!) and wanted to express and extend my gratitude to everyone here who helps to make TVWBB a GREAT Weber and grilling community.

Attachments

• IMG_2096.jpeg
    IMG_2096.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2011.jpeg
    IMG_2011.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1414.jpeg
    IMG_1414.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1427.jpeg
    IMG_1427.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1605.jpeg
    IMG_1605.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1616.jpeg
    IMG_1616.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1646.jpeg
    IMG_1646.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1941.jpeg
    IMG_1941.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1946.jpeg
    IMG_1946.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1943.jpeg
    IMG_1943.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1947.jpeg
    IMG_1947.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1948.jpeg
    IMG_1948.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1952.jpeg
    IMG_1952.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1996.jpeg
    IMG_1996.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2056.jpeg
    IMG_2056.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2087.jpeg
    IMG_2087.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2091.jpeg
    IMG_2091.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2099.jpeg
    IMG_2099.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2094.jpeg
    IMG_2094.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Well I think you have learned and achieved the better grilled, but we can always learn more. Keep these great cooks coming,you are making me dig in my freezer for something to grill.

Well I think you have learned and achieved the better grilled, but we can always learn more. Keep these great cooks coming,you are making me dig in my freezer for something to grill.
Definitely! Dig! In!

Speaking of freezer, we‘ve got so many steaks, chops and chicken breasts stored, I’m always faced with a “tactical” decision whether to buy fresh or not. However, I‘m thinking some type of Chicago-style-like Nathan’s Hot Dogs (I know, I know) prepped with the Slot Dog” and some brats or (German) Currywurst might be on the menu for this weekend. Gosh, I’m so hungry!

Definitely! Dig! In!

Speaking of freezer, we‘ve got so many steaks, chops and chicken breasts stored, I’m always faced with a “tactical” decision whether to buy fresh or not. However, I‘m thinking some type of Chicago-style-like Nathan’s Hot Dogs (I know, I know) prepped with the Slot Dog” and some brats or (German) Currywurst might be on the menu for this weekend. Gosh, I’m so hungry!
Those dogs sound very interesting. Gotvtoblovecthecsimple food cooks, aactgryvarecsometimes the best

Greg, this thread rocks. Awesome cooks...I really want those pork chops...wow.

I miss my 2008 Genny. The east-west alignment especially.

Thanks for a great post. This site continues to teach me something new every day. A blessing.

Keep 'em coming!!

Greg, this thread rocks. Awesome cooks...I really want those pork chops...wow.

I miss my 2008 Genny. The east-west alignment especially.

Thanks for a great post. This site continues to teach me something new every day. A blessing.

Keep 'em coming!!
Thank you very much, Tim! I sure have made a concerted effort to improve my game and this site and people such Chris, Larry, Bruce, you and many others, have helped me to make that happen!

Last edited:

Back