A couple of new batches of sausage

EricV.

TVWBB Wizard
I can’t recall ever making sausage this time of the year, but my inventory was low & I had a couple of pork shoulders in the freezer calling my name.

(2) Batches made, 10lbs. each. Philly cheese Steak, I added Sauteed green bell peppers, Vidalia onions & added 1lb. of high temp hot pepper cheese. Hatch Green Chili, I added some of the roasted Hatch peppers that I just bought as well as 1lb. of high temp cheddar cheese.

I have to say that these turned out really good, the Hatch pepper was a little hotter, but completely tolerable.

Abe Froman has nothing on me, Lol!

Attachments

• Philly Ground & Seasoned.JPG
    Philly Ground & Seasoned.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Philly Cheese Steak.JPG
    Philly Cheese Steak.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Linked PC.JPG
    Linked PC.JPG
    214 KB · Views: 33
  • Hatch Green Chili Ground & Seasoned.JPG
    Hatch Green Chili Ground & Seasoned.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 32
  • Hatch Green Chili.JPG
    Hatch Green Chili.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Linked HGC.JPG
    Linked HGC.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Grilled.JPG
    Grilled.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Sliced.JPG
    Sliced.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 35
Wow! That's some good looking sausage.
I've got a pair of butts in the freezer that needs to be turned into sausage. Wife makes some mean Andouille and we're all out of country sausage and buckboard bacon. As soon as we're done processing everything out of the garden the butts are next on the list.

Dude … awesome. I like you make my own sausages.
Smoked Kielbasa (slightly nibbled on)
View attachment 36114

Brats and bulk hot Italian.
View attachment 36113
If you could share the Hatch green chile recipe, I would appreciate it!
Nice looking Salchichas!

Recipe:

I used 10lb. of coarse ground pork shoulder. I added 1/2 of a package of Hatch Green Chili seasoning, (see link below), I also added 2 tbsp. of granulated California garlic, 1 tbsp. of coarse black pepper (both optional, I like garlic/pepper in sausage) & 1lb. of high temp cheddar cheese, 1 pint of ice water & 5 diced hot Hatch green chilis with the seeds & membrane taken out. The seasoning itself has a good kick to it, so you can adjust it if you prefer more heat. Enjoy!

It took a few batches to figure it out. Especially linking. I do 60ish percent as links with the rest being bulk and breakfast sausage. Take the plunge, it’s quite fun.

Homemade sausage is next level stuff. Definitely on my equipment list/list of things to try
The equipment really doesn't break the bank if sausage is a year round staple for you. I would shy away from the KA accessories if possible. Equipment wise, you need a grinder & a vertical stuffer, I would estimate under 3 bills online.

The equipment really doesn't break the bank if sausage is a year round staple for you. I would shy away from the KA accessories if possible. Equipment wise, you need a grinder & a vertical stuffer, I would estimate under 3 bills online.
So Eric, any tips on smoking sausage on the WSM? I'm suffering with chasing temps on my 18, and tough casings. Any tips?

So Eric, any tips on smoking sausage on the WSM? I'm suffering with chasing temps on my 18, and tough casings. Any tips?
See this link below that I posted a month ago. I have a WSM 22, I set-up the "Snake/Fuse" method for a slower controlled fire, I also use a BBQ Guru ATC.

Back